Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Grain Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Grain Mills

Anyone have one that you'd recommend? What are you using to sift for <100% extraction? I'm eyeing the Komo Classic but the optional sifter is a tad pricey.

We don't have a mill at our house but we do use the heck out of this little dude.
    Fresh cut oatmeal is just kind of amazing compared to what we were used to eating.
    Pleasant hill has some nice gear.
    Fresh, naturally sweet rolled oats or stale, chemically-preserved flakes: Which sound better for your breakfast? If you favor the fresh idea, KoMo's personal-sized FlicFloc grain flaker is right up your alley.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Fresh cut oatmeal, done overnight in a cast iron saucepan, is indeed a miracle!

If you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, there is an all-metal grain mill attachment that gets pretty good reviews ...

Comment

I have considered doing this, but have not done so yet. If you can figure out what mesh is used in the sifter, you should be able to buy a strainer with that mesh and sift by hand. You can even buy flour sifters with a hand crank.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It really depends on how often you need a sifter. We never needed more than a hand sifter. They're mostly for cakes and fine pastries.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      I have considered doing this, but have not done so yet. If you can figure out what mesh is used in the sifter, you should be able to buy a strainer with that mesh and sift by hand. You can even buy flour sifters with a hand crank.
      I've posted the question on some other boards and the answer seems to be that a set of sieves: #35, #40, and maybe #50 provide roughly the desired extractions.

Comment

EdF I see on your profile pic you are a vapes. I used them to get off the cigs. Been off 5 years after 45 years of smoking. They are
        a miracle also.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 4, 2016, 09:33 PM. Reason: @ in front of EdF for notification

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, wish they were around when I was 15 and picked up that nasty habit! Glad to hear you've succeeded!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here