Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Am Baker, Hear Me Roar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am Baker, Hear Me Roar

Well, OK, I'm not a baker and I'm not especially good at roaring. I am actually a somewhat chubby old guy. BUT, I turned out a FINE loaf of sourdough today. Crispy crust, nicely browned, very nice sour taste (the most important thing to me). My starter is three weeks old today and the accompanying photos show the first loaf baked using that starter. The bell peppers are today's pepper harvest. I see a tasty, sour future in front of me.

Criticisms and comments welcome, especially criticisms. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0367.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	215916 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0368.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	215917
    Last edited by David Parrish; August 31, 2016, 11:51 AM. Reason: Please remember we are equals in The Pit, thanks.

Congrats on producing a great looking boule.

Comment

Nice. Title had me confused but I'm slow. ; )

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        The title is just a phrase I've used for many years whenever something goes well. No logic to it. LOL Blame Helen Reddy.

Nice job, Willy!

Comment

Looks awesome. One area that I have yet to venture

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          What to be woman? Not that that's a bad thing. Hehehehe

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          hahahaha both. Jon Solberg

Great loaf of sourdough bread Willy 👍 Nice color crust and good crumb. Did you bake it in a Dutch Oven?

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, a DO--Le Crueset enameled. I'm tickled at how sour it was. I haven't a sour sourdough since a trip to SF 15 years ago.

Mucho thanks to you & @ChefJacob. It was really not that hard, tho I did pay close attention to detail and watched and listened to Stella videos/podcasts several times.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          👍 that's what I've been trying to make my fellow Pit members believe, it's NOT that hard! I used my own learning curve to put together a lesson plan that is ALMOST fail proof.

Did you store your starter in the fridge before using it for this tangy loaf?

Woo Hoo!

Comment

Great looking loaf of bread! I would definitely eat that!

Comment

Wow, that's beautiful. You are hereby authorized to pound your chest while you roar.

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              like tarzan?

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course. Aaaahhh EEEEE Aaaahhh!

I know that's not a roar, but it's the best imitation of Tarzan I can do in print.

Great looking loaf! Small tip: heat a pan in the bottom of the oven with water to create steam before you put the loaf in. It'll allow the crust to stretch more without cracking. (Unless what you had there was intentional - I see you did put a cross of cuts on the surface).
            Last edited by EdF; August 31, 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Breadhead No fridge--the starter has been at room temp the entire time and I followed the SC recipe to a tee--500 grams of starter... I started in the AM, around 9 AM, and had the loaf out before 5 PM. Next time, I'd like to do the bulk ferment overnight in the fridge. I have no plans to keep my starter in the fridge unless it's for long term storage, though I may reconsider that. The starter is very active and I'm even considering feeding it 2X daily--the cost of thrown out starter builds! Your thoughts?

My starter has a very pungent, sour tang to it--open the container and that great sour aroma wafts out. We must just have some good bacteria floating around our area. Also, I feed it 50/50 whole wheat and bread flour--both King Arthur unbleached. I live in SE AZ, so room temp is mid 70s°F, which I understand would not necessarily lead to good acetic acid production, but, the proof is in the pudding, er, loaf.

I'm still pondering on a name for it--I had one last night in bed, but I've lost it this AM. LOL

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                If you don't name your starter that's disrespectful and it could become depressed and quit working for you. It's team work.😆

• Gooner-que
                Gooner-que commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the starter I dump to make crumpets, they are quite good.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead, you are correct! A starter is a living thing. It needs affirmation and care. Also, before a long storage, I have kept as little as 75 grams, and it rejuvenated nicely.

Willy great job getting my attention with the title and keeping it with that wonderful looking bread. You go girl, I mean guy.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                I do go girl. LOL

[QUOTE=Willy;n216104]Breadhead Next time, I'd like to do the bulk ferment overnight in the fridge.

A delayed fermentation loaf...

i wouldn't recommend doing your BULK fermentation overnight. I suggest you do everything you did on this loaf of bread, exactly. Then after you've final shaped it and put it in your banneton for final proofing, put it in the refrigerator overnight to delay the final proofing.

The next day take it out of the fridge 2 hours before you want to bake it. I would start pre-heating your oven and DO 30 minutes after you take your dough out of the fridge. With a mid 70's ambient temperature in your kitchen your dough will pass the poke test in about 90 minutes or less, probably. At that temperature you've got a fairly short window of time, approximately 15 minutes, for your dough to go from ready to bake to being over proofed. Pre-heating your oven early is wise.

BULK fermenting overnight would normally be used as a pre-fermentation step. To do that you use 1/2 of the weight of the flour in the recipe. Mix it with an EQUAL amount of water and 1% of the weight of the flour of your sourdough starter. Cover you fermentation vessel with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter top at room temperature for 12 to 16 hours.

Then you mix in the remainder of your ingredients, using no more starter, and develop your dough as usual. Then if you want to kick it up another notch... When you've final shaped that dough and put it in your banneton, put it in the fridge overnight to delay the final proofing.👍

That process with your very tangy starter would produce a seriously kick-ass loaf of sourdough bread.👌

Comment

Breadhead I KNOW it needs a name--I just want the perfect one! LOL

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Brutus?

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Crusty

• Ribber
                  Ribber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead.

Originally posted by EdF View Post
                Great looking loaf! Small tip: heat a pan in the bottom of the oven with water to create steam before you put the loaf in. It'll allow the crust to stretch more without cracking. (Unless what you had there was intentional - I see you did put a cross of cuts on the surface).
                Ed... I've never had much success of putting a water pan in my convection oven or my BGE to create steam for my sourdough loaves. I have a much better results using a Stainless Steel mixing bowl over the top of my dough during the oven spring process.

I score/dock the dough and then mist it with a generous amount of water then place the dough on my baking/pizza stone and put the preheated SS bowl over the top of it for 20 minutes. That gives me maximum oven spring, nice blisters and ears.👍
                Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Willy ... Chef Jacob suggested the DO simply because for a beginning baker the DO method is an absolute no brainer and easy - except for getting it in the DO properly. Try the SS bowl method and see how you like it.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead - you're certainly more experienced than I am at baking. My wife is the baker of the family. But we have had success "super-heating" a cast iron pan in the oven or the egg, and pouring in hot water just before putting in the bread. Yours looks to be less trouble.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF ... By setting up my BGE for maximum airflow, trying to replicate a brick oven, any steam that would be generated in the pan would escape through the top vent immediately, I leave the top vent completely off. Trapping the steam under the SS bowl works great.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here