Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A nice CI baker for bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice CI baker for bread

I like this CI, but it's a bit pricy:

Bake better bread in your home oven today! Made for Bakers, by Bakers, this revolutionary cast iron vessel will level up your baking.

Ouch! You need to get a bunch of use outa a specialized piece of equipment to cover that price.
    Looks very interesting though. I’ll run it by my spoiled daughter and see what she has to say.

thanks for the info.

Comment

Interesting! Great shape and handles.

Made me think that I could turn over my Lodge and get a similar setup (without the handles). I have the set where the lid is a frying pan.

Comment

"heirloom quality cast iron"

Comment

Too rich for my blood! I will keep using my much cheaper Lodge dutch oven! . Or a $5 bread pan...

Comment

Price always enters in the fray…
          I think it’s worth a look…
          The shallow bottom with a deep top, may trap more moisture… but it may not contain settling doughs of certain volumes…
          It’s probably a good baker…
          For those who do not use CI, I suggest you consider it…
          Nothing is cheap these days… but it doesn’t stop us from improvising…
          Years ago, when I was looking for Griswold CI pieces, I found an auction for a #5 Oval Roaster…
          I knew something was wrong when it had been up a few days and nobody was bidding… Peaking my interest, I read it had a crack…
          I kept watch, made a bid… and bought it for a baker…
          I assumed I might later buy a lid-less roaster or sell the lid to someone who needs it…
          It bakes a mean loaf… and makes me look cool…
          I don’t advertise it’s defect at serving time… so ya’ll don’t rat me out for this confession…
          My roaster is just as specialty a piece as this new model… and probably takes more storage room… but my cracked roaster is stored on the fireplace hearth…

Attached Files

Comment

• Washblue
            Washblue commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you Oak Smoke on putting together a collection that covers my wishes but has been limited by practicality...

I did go a little overboard with #10 campfire DO's... I was paying $75 to $150 at auction... and I was paying $5 to $15 for skillets...

Oval roasters were already pricey as I was adding to my iron... So, I didn't jump into that arena to get others...

As for the Old Hickory... they stay on the board and are used all the time... #lovethem...

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Washblue I just checked, there are two Griswold oval roasters on Ebay. The number 7 is $748 and the number 3 is $700. I didn’t see a Wagner in the short look I took. I can’t see me paying that much.

• bordercollie
            bordercollie commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooh !! That is a beautiful piece !! I'm a addict of old ironware and I admit it. I have a collection that I'm finally cleaning up from the old days of having an antique shop with my Mama and Daddy but not one of these.

I still think a baking steel is the best “basic” option for bread, there are a few learning curves maybe, but more versatile, or so I think. I looked at the challenger, it’s expensive, it’s heavy, and big to store. The baking steel is heavy, not sure on pricing anymore, and I leave it in my oven 95 percent of all indoor cooking. So it self stores, and is only heavy once a month or so when I season it.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah if I had a baking steel, it would probably live in the oven too, and I would just transfer bread and pizzas onto it using parchment paper...

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris exactly, I use a pizza peel to load bread and pizza, and any pans I may bake with for meals just get set on top of it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here