Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snowed in Making Sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowed in Making Sourdough

So the blizzard of 2016 hits Maryland. I'm stuck indoors, so I am making some sourdough!
    Attached Files

The rolls went a little "free-form" on me, but they were delicious! And the crust! Omigosh the crust was heaven on earth! My wife made a bread dip with olive oil and spices that was the bomb. If you're snowed in, and hanging around the woodstove, this is the way to go!

Comment

That loaf is a hoss!!

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jerrod! It went really well with pulled pork too! 😎

I love dipping bread in EVOO mixed with a little salt, pepper & herbs, sometimes just a dash of balsamic too! Talk about a fresh and tasty substitution for butter.

Do you simply make that cross-hatch cut with a knife before baking, or before they rise?

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest, you let the bread rise, and just before baking you take a razor blade, or sharp knife or serrated bread knife, and slash the bread about 1/4" deep. This does a couple of things. It makes the loaf or rolls look really kewl, and helps keep the loaf from having weird explosions when you get the "oven spring". There are basically two things that will kill yeast: temperature, and the amount of alcohol the yeast produces. All yeast carries its own doom with it. Due to its insatiable appetite for sugar, all yeast will eventually produce enough alcohol to kill itself! This is really more of a concern with beer and wine making. The alcohol produced in bread making is cooked off. Our main concern is the carbon dioxide, which helps our bread to rise. The gluten networks in the bread help keep it in its risen shape.

Temperatures, which we are concerned about in bread making, are the other important thing. Too low of a temp, and the yeast will not ferment. Too high a temp, and we kill our yeast. So, all that boils down to, is that the "oven spring" is a last rising, the yeast's last gasp before the oven temps kill it. Sorry about the long essay! 😁😁
        Last edited by Thunder77; January 24, 2016, 06:04 PM.

Doing the same today. Trying some different add in's. Football, beer, bread, how could that be bad? Oh, and that almost 30 inches of snow that I have to get out of the way first.

Comment

Thunder77, Beautiful looking Bread! It should be great when you take a break from Snow Shoveling! How much snow have you Got?
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Danjohnston949, we got 29.2 inches. A Maryland record for a single snowfall. Probably a normal day for you! 😜😜😂😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here