Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

This cornbread will get up out of the pan and slap other cornbreads until they start crying...

Two packages of whatever cornbread you want; I use Mexican Style. Does it really taste different? I doubt it.

Half of one o' those Big Velveeta Blocks.

At least a jar of Trappey's sliced jalapenos.

A whole medium white onion.

Cut the cheese into kinda biggish cubes. Picture the size of a sugar cube. Cut them small and you lose contrast of flavor.

Chop the peppers so they are still chunky.

Dice the onion. Kinda big pieces...See peppers^^^.

Mix your cornbread according to the directions Except: Only add half of the milk.

Add about double what the cornbread recipe calls for regarding eggs.

Mix in everything else but the cheese.

Once it is mixed well, add 2/3 of the cheese and stir. Don't use egg beater. It will reduce the cheese to small bits. Stir cheese and cornbread mix with a spoon or a stand mixer.

Put mix in pan (pre-heated) and level it. Then add remainder of the cheese evenly across the top. Pat it down a little.

Bake per instructions and get ready for YUM YUM time.

If more than 4 people start eating it at the same time, be prepared for riot control. Have a stick nearby and use it judiciously.

Oh, as far as the stick goes, I prefer a Hickory Axe Handle. I wrap a towel around the end of mine to minimize bruising.... You can get the axe handle from any Home Depot. The towel you can get from your very own closet (save yourself a few bucks there, yes?).

Enjoy the recipe.

My dad loves this kind of cornbread.

Comment

Sounds good! I have a version (usually just eye balling amounts) where I use Jiffy mix, but use 2 eggs, substitute 1/2 and 1/2 for milk, add sour cream and a can of cream corn, drained can of Mexi-corn, crumbled bacon and a crap load of cheese - usually a cheddar / jack blend.

I have leave the jalapenos out for the wife, but I butter the cornbread with a homemade jalapeno ghee (clarified butter) which gives me all the heat I need.

I bet with you're recipe, as with mine, you could almost make a corn casserole out of it in a 8x8 or 9x13 depending on what you add.

I have even thought of leaving the bacon out and adding a 1/4 lb of pulled pork for giggles....

Comment

• Syko
        Syko commented
        Editing a comment
        Your jalapeno ghee sounds very interesting. I'm going to research that today.

This will give you the basic idea: http://wellnessmama.com/24267/make-ghee/

The only part this article leaves out is how to infuse you ghee (I use a fine mesh strainer, no cheesecloth though) - it is relatively simple.

All you need to do is add whatever you want to infuse your ghee with to your butter before heating.

I usually keep a jar of garlic infused and a a jar of jalapeno infused in the fridge at all times (although you don't have to refrigerate, but it does last longer if you do).

I think the next experiment will be a rosemary / garlic ghee.

I love using the (melted liquid) ghee on reverse seared steaks - the higher smoke point (and usually garlic infusion) is awesome!

I also love using the garlic ghee in cheese grits - it is jam-up and jelly tight!

Thanks to Ernest and fzxdoc for showing me the light on ghee!

Very, very simple and gives your food a nice subtle background flavor of whatever you use to infuse.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here