Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% Spelt pan loaf...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% Spelt pan loaf...

This is a 75% hydration, 100% spelt pan loaf. Spelt is an ancient form of wheat that I've added here and there to bread but always in the 20-30% range. I wanted to try pure, 100% spelt pan loaf so... here it is.

Spelt doesn't form gluten as strongly as modern wheats, so the hydration is relatively low but even so, this was a loose dough. I might move the hydration down a touch next time. This had a little honey and olive oil added and I subbed out about 70g of the water for milk to make a softer crumb.

Vitals: 770g spelt, 580g liquids, 88g starter (100% hydration), 16g salt.

I autolysed for an hour, then mixed everything for 5 minutes in the Ktichenaid. After that, I put the dough into a ceramic bowl and into the proofer at 77F. Six sets of stretch and fold, the first 4 every 15 minutes, the last two after 30 more minutes. Then an hour in the proofer and after that, into the fridge overnight.

Back into the proofer for 2.5 hours this morning, then preshaped into a round and shaped into the pan loaf. Baked at 450F for 15 minutes, 375F for another 60. Fished temp of about 200F. Smells great. Havent cut into it, I like to let bread cool for a few hours or more so it doesn't get soggy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0859.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1202286
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 6, 2022, 04:36 PM.

Beautiful looking loaf, I’m sure equally great flavor.

Comment

I have no idea what language you're talking rick, but that a damn good looking loave by golly !!

Comment

That is one good-looking loaf.
        I would eat that with cheese and PBR. Oh yeah, down by the river.

Comment

My mom coudn't undersand why I coudn't spelt nothin wright.

Im a guessin it was the bread.

Comment

That loaf looks great! Please post some pics when you cut into it.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              + 1

let’s see a slice with some buttah,,,,,

Comment

Ok, toast with breakfast....

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_172113.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	1202715

This is OK but I want a bit more oven spring so it's a bit more open. Not a ton - I don't want big, artisan loaf style holes since this is sandwich bread but about 30% more spring. I might have baked this too hot initially and had the crust set too fast.

Taste verdict - slightly bitter and a bit more acidic than usual but that's my starter - the feeding has been all over the place. Rich and nutty, though. Also, this was darker that I expected. I've got spelt from another source so I'll try that next loaf.
              Last edited by rickgregory; April 7, 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

rickgregory I recognize bacon but what is the other stuff on the plate?

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fried eggs, over sloppy (they stuck a bit and, well...)

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here