Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To wheat, or not to wheat - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To wheat, or not to wheat - that is the question

A friend recently asked us to do some minor/quick grocery shopping for them. No big deal, it's one of those things friends do for each other.

The list texted to us was relatively painless, but the message lacked appropriate punctuation and spacing (as text messages tend to do)

One item confused us, requiring multiple text responses and phone calls (all unanswered at the time of the shopping). I was wondering how the Pit would respond/interpret this particular shopping request:

The item in question:

One loaf of bread, no wheat.

Our thoughts, as we stood in the bread and bakery aisle:
    • do they mean they want white bread? multi-grain? sourdough? anything but "wheat bread"?
    • All breads pretty much are made with wheat. Are they trying to go wheat-free due to allergy or other health reasons?
    AUGH!

After many minutes of pondering, we made a choice and hit the check-out line. In the car on the way to delivery the groceries, we got a call -- "oh, just buy [this brand]", which would have been much more helpful 30 minutes earlier. And while we didn't get the desired bread, at least the one we selected met the desired criteria

What would YOU have put in your shopping basket with this particular request?

I would have bout a multi-grain, thinking it was meaning no wheat bread, so anything but wheat bread? Hahah

who knows… but what did you end up buying and what was the requested brand?

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      purchased generic store-brand white bread

requested brand: sara lee (any variety other than "wheat" would have sufficed)

Anything but wheat. I would have thought "not wheat" as they forgot the "t"

Comment

"One loaf of bread, no wheat"? It's rare to find bread here in the Western World that contains no wheat. It exists ... e.g., as 100% rye, 100% oat, or (as far as I can remember without resorting to a bunch of research) 100% rice bread. So "bread, no wheat" can be had ... but it's not common around here. I'm guessing that your neighbors simply don't understand what they were asking so in the absence of a clarifying text or call, I'd have bought either a loaf of white bread or something professing to be 100% gluten free (that'd teach'em ).

Comment

No wheat would have confused me too! I would have thought that it would have meant either white bread (versus wheat bread), or some weird gluten-free bread.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
          Editing a comment
          We thought about that "WhiteWheat" brand, just to be funny.
          Decided it wouldn't be prudent.

I too would have been confused by that instruction. If my prior messages had met with no response, I'd send this text message: "Heading into store. Don't understand, 'one loaf of bread, no wheat.' What kind of bread do you want? Will be in bread aisle in about ten minutes. If no response by then, will skip bread." Then it's on them to clarify.

Of course, I'd then hang out in the bread aisle for about fifteen minutes waiting for a reply and trying to puzzle out the answer.

Comment

I would have texted them back

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
            Editing a comment
            we did (both text and calls).
            took 45m for them to finally respond

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have skipped the bread (good for you that you didnt). If I'm doing a favor for people and they can't reply to a text... oh well.

I would interpret that as white bread, no wheat bread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here