Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rolls

Breadhead here is my favorite

​478g. bread flour
    313g. water
    34g. sugar
    10g. yeast
    10g. salt
    3T. cubed cold butter

Measure out all ingredients

Mix Water, yeast, sugar, 105° 10-15 mins

Add flour mix for about 3 mins.

Add salt and mix for 6 minutes...dough should be slack. Add water as needed. I usually add 1/2t water at a time if needed

Add cubed cold butter and mix for 2-4 more mins. At first the dough will get messy and you will think you messed up, you didn't. It will all come back together, when it does your done

Let rise an hour or so till at least doubled.

After it has risen take it and punch down. This will make about 8 good size sub rolls or buns. The batch I just made weighed 975g when done. 100g will make an avg hamburger roll. I like to roll the dough into a 1 to 1 1/2" log and cut 1 1/2" to 2" pieces out to make little dinner sized rolls. They are perfect size for sliders.

After you have portioned, put on parchment paper on a sheet pan and let rise 20-40 mins.

Bake at 375° for 15-23 minutes. Depends on size and oven so my first alarm is at 12 minutes and go from there.

If you would like to try the Tangzhong Dough method

measure out all ingredients.

take out 3T of the flour and 1/2 cup of the water and mix in a pan on stove

heat to 149° and remove immediatley. This will make a rouix like dough, and this you will add to the step of adding flour when you follow the recipe.

Enjoy, Rick

Here is the beginning

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907-_DSC2836.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	108010 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907-_DSC2837.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	108011

Comment

gardenfish ...

Looks like a nice formula and interesting technique. Thanks for sharing.

I like that you're using metrics and a digital scale.👍

Comment

I bought some English muffin rings and am going to try today for the first time to make a higher hamburger bun sized roll. I will make four today and keep the extra dough in the fridge to make slider rolls on wed. Taste improves with age on the dough.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been using 3.5" ring molds for my sourdough English muffin project. I fill each ring mold with 100 grams of dough and they come just right.

Delayed fermentation adds flavor... Yes. Bread is much like BBQ. Low yeast and slow development makes better bread.😎
          Last edited by Breadhead; September 7, 2015, 01:57 PM.

I need to get into this side of cooking. I just don't have the kitchen right now. Once I move into my new crib shack, that will be a different story.

Comment

Spinaker ...

I like baking bread as much as I like perfecting a long low and slow cook. I usually bake some bread while I'm doing a low and slow cook.😎

Comment

Got a good 1 hr rise then put 100g pieces in the rings and gave them an hour too. In the oven now.

Name:	20150907-_DSC2841.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	108119

Name:	20150907-_DSC2842.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	108120

And now freshly buttered out of the oven. Picnics are at 178°. Going to be a great meal in a couple hours

Name:	20150907-_DSC2843.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	108121

​
            Last edited by gardenfish; September 7, 2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Mickeylou5
              Mickeylou5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice bungs!

gardenfish ... Great looking buns! You're in for some fine eating tonight.👍 I like to get my buns a little darker than grocery store buns. I do that by using only the yolk of an egg as my egg wash. That gives you a darker shiny finish. Plus I use sesame seeds just to make them look pretty.😎

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great Breadhead

• gardenfish
              gardenfish commented
              Editing a comment
              I throw a cup of water in the oven when the rolls go in and then butter the tops when they come out for softer crust. Your rolls look awesome. I am going to try the Brioche recipe next.

gardenfish ...

How was your dinner?

Comment

• gardenfish
              gardenfish commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome. I had two the wife one and we smiled all the while. Took pictures all day but none at dinner time I blame the alcohol

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here