Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few extra photos of this bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are absolutely beautiful.

What Baker's Percentage hydration and oven temp are you using? TIA
    Last edited by gcdmd; August 13, 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      65 percent. Open oven (no Dutch ovens or similar) I use a pizza steel and parchment paper, and a steam pan. 475 for roughly 45 minutes. Turning every 10 minutes.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz

Thank you, Richard. Just one more question: How many grams of flour do you use in each loaf?

Any other tips?
      Last edited by gcdmd; August 13, 2021, 12:31 PM.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd I have found that 800 grams flour, 520 grams water (65percemt), 200 grams levain (25 percent), and salt, add in the bulk fermenting. My dough weighs out around each loaf being a 790-800 gram loaf, when I weigh them before I bench rest, shaping, and proofing. It’s a pleasant size loaf, the oven spring is just right. I have baked larger loaves, 1,000 g loaves. And in my 10 inch banneton, their is to much oven spring, for that size loaf.

Dr. Pepper check out the first post, the scoring is shown.

Comment

Just F'n Wow!!! Loaves of beauty! Salut!

(I'm sharing these with one of my daughters, who has been baking sourdough since the Ebola epidemic started. Yours are the best I have ever seen!)
      Last edited by Dr. Pepper; August 25, 2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Dr. Pepper last weeks four.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D4B39F74-0745-4300-B8CD-8ADCCCCC9B97.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	708.5 KB ID:	1083062
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 25, 2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking at your lamé photos, and your end result, I can see how 'turning the corner' on the tops of the loaves allows yours to open much more than my daughter's loaves. I think she stops on the top surface, doesn't round the bend on both ends.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          So, not sure that is the correct answer though. Interesting I think I have learned that scoring has very little to do with it, you have to have the fermentation to push it over, I can perfectly score an ok ferment and not get this, it is the ferment that that pushes the score, the score is just the telling it where to break through. Or so that is my current belief, or understanding from trial and error.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 25, 2021, 02:19 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here