Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rapid Temperature Rise Normal End-Of-Bake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapid Temperature Rise Normal End-Of-Bake?

I baked AR's Brioche-style hamburger buns Saturday for the first time. The recipe calls for 18' to 195-200. At 16', the temp was 195. I gave it another minute expecting 197-198 and the buns were at 205. They weren't ideal but they weren't ruined, and they stood up well to that evening's lamburgers, but the rapid temp rise surprised me. The hollow-knock test has always worked well for me, so I don't usually temp bread. But I am curious: Is a temp rise that fast normal for the end of a bread bake? How about carryover temps?

I cannot speak to carry over temps. However, I can say that I carefully watch bread at the end of the cook. Once it starts to brown it can quickly overcook in my experience.

Comment

I have not looked specifically for this, but from time to time I have thought the same thing.

I try to pull the bread at the minimum temp because there is some carryover rise, and the longer the bread stays in the oven, the more moisture will be baked out and I want to keep as much moisture as possible to prolong freshness.

Artisan bread is a different animal, and I want a dark brow crust and don't worry about temp.

Comment

I welcome additional replies, but DavidNorcross and RonB, you've confirmed my suspicions. Next time around, I'll check at 15' and pull those babies if they're anywhere near 195. Thanks!

Comment

I forgot to mention that I use a leave in thermo to monitor temps. I normally set the alarm to go off ~ 5F early and stay close to watch the temp.

Comment

Yes, there's a faster rise in temp at the end of baking than at the beginning, but a minute more time shouldn't have caused a 10 degree rise -- I'd expect perhaps a couple of degrees at most. But also keep in mind the precise location where your temp probe is located can make a big difference in the numbers you see.

A 1/4 inch difference where the tip of the probe is located could certainly make a 10 degree difference. If the tip was surrounded by the cooked dough, the temp might be quite different than if the tip ends up in an air pocket. That's why I never expect to bake to a single precise number.

I see this as well for fruit desserts like cobblers -- the temps can be quite different in the doughy portion compared with the temps in the cooked fruit filling.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Understand and agree--that thought did cross my mind, especially with limited real estate and the sensitivity of the MkIV. In fact, that could well be why the buns weren't ruined. Good points well taken!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here