Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new bread raising device.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam6687
    commented on 's reply
    i have a seed heating mat that i can dial in a specific temp, i use it inside an old styrofoam cooler as a make shift proofing station. works great and cost me less than $30 for everything.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Funny you mentioned this. I just used seedling mat and my grow lights to try and speed up some pizza dough I took out of the freezer later than I should have. They did a really good job getting the dough ready.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory - I agree, but since I'm retired, I bake when it suits my schedule. My wife wants the temp in the house @ 72° winter and summer, so there's not a significant difference in times.

• rickgregory
    replied
    As I noted above, how useful things like this are will depend on the ambient temp of your kitchen, how much time you have and how repeatable you want your baking to be. I keep my house, in the winter, around 60F and space heat the rooms I'm in because I don't see a need to heat the entire 2000sf house if I'm in the TV room or my home office for hours. Bread would still rise at 60F, but it would take MUCH longer than at 75F.

Keep in mind, I live in Seattle where the average temperature is only above 70 for 3, MAYBE 4 months in a given year. If you live where it's 72 or better for 9 or 10 months year or you keep your house at 74F year round? Then a proofer is much less useful.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 28, 2021, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    RonB - the challenge with leaving it on the counter is that most recipes seem to assume an ambient temp in the mid-70s and if it's much cooler (even 68), it affects the fermentation time quite a lot. That's not necessarily a problem but it can mess with one's schedule (a 3 hour rise taking 5, etc).

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I use it all the time in the cool months because I don't keep my house at 74. It's nowhere near as useful if you do keep your house that warm or if it's naturally that warm most of the year.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Agree, but sometimes I need to speed it up or slow it down. Although, being at home all the time, I have usually let it ride on the counter too.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Neat idea (sorta) and thanks for posting ... but it doesn't look overly necessary to me ... pass ...

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I actually just kinda let the dough go on the counter, and use how much it rises instead of time.

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    I just made my starters and recipe’s to fit my schedule.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I also have the Brod and Taylor Proofer, but seldom use it.

• scottranda
    replied
    Sometimes I want the "perfect temperature" for yeast, and other times I don’t (like you said, you might want longer fermentation times). I try to use my environment to manipulate my fermentation times. Fridge, outside, warm oven too, warm countertop above dishwasher, oven, etc. To me, that is fun and makes it artisan!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Hmm. Depends on air temp. If it's too cool, a mat wont do that much. I have the Brod & Taylor Proofer which is variable in temps and creates a small enclosed space for the dough. https://brodandtaylor.com/collection...er-slow-cooker

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Kinda like the heated mat I put under seedlings to help them sprout. Might try it the next time I bake.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    started a topic A new bread raising device.

A new bread raising device.

I found this on another site. If you have trouble getting bread to rise and bake same day breads, this might be useful. I would not use it for artisan breads that have a long ferment though.

There are a lot of free hacks when it comes to creating the ideal warm environment for your dough, but spending $70 on a self-heating placemat was worth the peace of mind baking in a drafty kitchen.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here