Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"How would you like your Steak?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How would you like your Steak?"

This is a true story.

My dad had a boss for many years who enjoyed grilling meats for his family and friends. He would always buy Prime or CAB at his local butcher and everyone always enjoyed his cooking. His mother-in-law was often a guest and she would request that her steak be cooked well done everytime - "If I see red meat or blood I can't eat it!" she'd say. This went on for 35 years.
    In her advanced age, the woman had begun to lose her vision and was still persistant in her requests for well done steaks. Feeling a bit ornery one night he decided to cook the steaks how he damn well pleased and served everyone at the table a perfectly medium rare CAB filet, including his mother-in-law. After a few bites into the steak that she could not see, his mother-in-law said, "Aubrey, you must be going to a new butcher shop because this steak is fantastic!"

That said . . . "How would you like your Steak?"

Me? Depends on cut I guess. Filet I'll take more on rare side. Rib eye I like a medium. Prime rib I can't decline an end cut but love mopping rare to medium rare chunks in the juice. Carne asada for me is char crispy but still juicy - somewhat medium-ish.

what all you say y'all?

Totally depends on the cut. For ribeye and ny strip I shoot for medium rare (125-130 degrees). Flank and tri tip I have been liking more and more at 135-140. Filets and sirloin I shoot for 120-125.

Comment

I like my stake on a plate - medium rear - with a baked tater and a glass of wine.

Comment

I prefer medium-rare on everything beef, but will chow down on rare to well-done. It's meat.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta agree here. A thin well done ribeye pulled at the exact right time is excellent, btw.

Thick and juicy. I’ll eat about any steak that is not rare and not well done. Preference is generally medium rare, but when I order that in a restaurant I usually get rare and I hate sending food back, so I pretty much only eat steaks I cook now.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          This

• Davek8282
          Davek8282 commented
          Editing a comment
          Feel the same I have been disappointed in some very high end steak joints compared to what I can do at home

I like mine medium rare. As long as the center is warm I'll eat it with a smile. My wife likes hers medium well. As soon as there's no pink she is good. I've finally come up with a way that works every time with the steaks coming off the grill at the same time. We're talking about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick ribeyes. I season hers and put it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 250f for 30 minutes then take them both to a hot grill. By the time I get a good sear on both sides they are both just right. I don't temp check hers, it's brown, mine is usually about 130 at that point. She tells me hers is just right so as long as she's happy this is how I'll do ribeyes.
        Last edited by Oak Smoke; March 6, 2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Mama's happy, everybody's happy!

Win-win!

NY Strip, medium-rare. I'll eat rare to medium-well too, don't much care.

I love T-bones and porterhouse too if they're thick enough, but I don't like paying a premium when some of that weight is bone.

I am not a ribeye fan -too fatty and they want to sprawl out and get messy- but I won't refuse if someone cooked me one or if I find a good deal on them.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          KC Strips fer me, as well.
          That bein said, no problem with a T-bone, or Porterhouse.
          Ribeyes? They're okay...but leftovers don't make near as gooda chili, IMO...

120-125 let it rest for a few that how I do at home. For me overcooking steak I’d rather not have it, just gets tough and chewy and to do that especially to good cuts give me chicken instead.

Comment

I have almost the same story. Former boss, Texan, would always get a filet at this restaurant we went to for lunch. Well done with Worcestershire sauce and ketchup on top. We finally after years of trying, got him to try medium. He loved it. Still dumps that other stuff on it though.

Medium rare for us.

Comment

If I’m doing the cooking, I’ll shoot for the high side of medium rare and will beat myself up if I don’t get it right. At a restaurant, I’ll typically order a NY strip "medium-rare to medium" and will enjoy eating anything that comes back between rare and medium-well without complaint ... as long as it’s juicy.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              This ^^^^
              Juicy is Good

For us rare to medium rare on steaks. In better steak places I will order rare-med rare and then say 125-130. My brother the chef said that tells him exactly where we want it as they checked every steak (and everything else too, even burgers when they had them as a special) with a probe.

Comment

If I'm cooking for myself? Medium rare.

If I'm at a restaurant, I'll order medium rare and be fine with it if it's more medium ( I grew up eating them medium).

If a friend screws up something and overcooks them? I'll still eat them because friend.

Comment

Cooked, just not TO much.

Comment

My Daddy used to say he didn't mind if he had to chase it around a bit on the plate, and I'm right there with him. Rare on everything except burgers.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m with you Jim. I like mine mooing.

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Even burgers can be done rare (I prefer them medium rare) using SV and then searing hot and fast .

• jharner
                    jharner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My Dad always said - If it is to rare let me know and I will put it back on the grill, if not shut up and eat can't do nothing about it.

I prefer charred fast and furious on the outside and rare on the inside for steak and burgers. Got this from my Pops who said "wipe er' down, take the horns off, and serve it up". In a restaurant he would order a steak "blue". I have not heard that term for years now. My wife likes medium-rare.

Comment

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My pop put it a bit more colorfully: "Wipe its ass, knock the horns off, and walk it through a warm room."

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What I done heared, growin up, an then cookin at cafes an restaraunts was "Wipe it's arse, drag it acrosst th grill, an slap er on a plate"...

• RustyHaines
                    RustyHaines commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep and yep. . . . . depending on who was in the room.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here