Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time brisket

Hi everyone, this weekend I’ll be smoking my first brisket and I am looking for tips , brisket will be 5lbs about 1/2 in of fat , gas smoker , which types of wood would be good I currently have Jack Daniel’s wood chips. Thanks

I like either hickory or oak. Run my smoker anywhere from 235 - 250. Let the meat hit approx. 170 - 175 then wrap it and finish in the oven at around 250 until it hits 195 - 198 to allow for carryover then pull from oven and leave it wrapped until I'm ready to serve

Comment

Make this:

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        This sounds like it would be great on brisket!

Going to pass this post on to you: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method Eric hits all the high points.

Comment

I would make sure to trim that fat cap down to about a 1/4 inch all around. This will help with the cook time and allow that rub and smoke to be eaten. Not many people will want a 1/.2 layer of fat in their bite, they discard it and then out goes your bark, run and smoke! I usually run my smoker at about 275 F. This is about perfect.

Once you have it trimmed up, give it some salt and let it sit in the fridge over night, uncovered. The next day, throw it on the smoker. I would go buy some chunks as they will last much longer than those chips you have. Buy some hickory or oak, to me that is the best for brisket. Throw one of the chunks directly on the hot fire once you add the meat.

I like to give it a spit with some water, champagne vinegar, apple cider vinegar and amino acids. (Equal parts) Then I do this every half hour or so for the first three hours to keep the brisket moist. It also allows for more smoke to adhere to the surface of the brisket.

For me personally, I like to wrap when I have the color I like. That is usually a dark brown mahogany color. The meat is generally at about 175 F when I get to this point. Then I will wrap it and wait until it gets to about 202 F internal. Then take it off the smoker and let it sit, wrapped, in a warm oven for AT LEAST two hours, three is better.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2E44A64A-0A0D-48B2-92D7-CD86D9E065A4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	999170

Then slice and serve right away. If you slice then allow it to sit out, it will dry out. So make sure to slice right before you are going to serve it.

And make sure to check out the link others have posted above.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I only spritz my KBQ and Kamado briskets. I am not sure why I never do with the PBC, I think I just like to let it do its thing. fzxdoc

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Copy that, Spinaker . The PBC is a pretty moist environment as it is.

K.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it is. I really only spritz when I am using the KBQ, really. There is a ton of air flow with that fan running the whole time, so the edges can get a little bit crispy at times. I find that the brisket in the PBC is pretty much self basting, so there really is no need. fzxdoc

So I think my first brisket was a success, let me know what you think
        Attached Files

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great. You're officially ready to move up from Trial Member to Full Member.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking cook!

Looks tasty! How is it?

Comment

Looks good to me. Congratulations on getting the first one under your belt!
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I see a smoke ring and some moisture. You done good!

Comment

Looks good from here, what did you think?

Comment

I'm in on that brisket
                But where's the beanz....

Comment

Good looking cook. Have never done just a flat, always smoke a whole because my group is divided. Some like the flat and some like the cap. Plus there is SOMETIMES left overs

Comment

Very nice job! Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

Your 1st brisket looks great! I'm sure it tasted great as well! I hope mine turns out that well when I go for it.

I had a question for the rest of the forum (sorry, not trying to hijack your post).

When I get ready for my brisket, I'm going to do the trimming the day before and salt it the day before and let it sit in the fridge over night to let the salt penetrate. I plan on doing my first brisket on my WSM 18", but I have a couple questions.
                        1. should I cook it fat side up? Most videos I see (mainly Harry Soo) it's put on the cooker fat side up. Does this matter?
                        2. Also going along with Harry Soo's recommendations he says that he doesn't use any water in the pan during the cook. What are you experiences with that? I know that it'll take a bit more fuel, but I'm planning on finishing the brisket in the oven anyway as Harry say's "BTU is BTU is BTU".
                        3. I'm playing around with the idea of injection. Thoughts? I'm unsure of this because I'm going to make sure my brisket is prime grade to help avoid dryness as much as possible.

Thanks for any input!

Comment

• btuckertx
                          btuckertx commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good start. I've cooked a bunch of briskets on my WSM, and fat side up works for me. I put water in the pan, 'cause Aaron Franklin sez so. I wrap, and then finish in the oven at the same temp, 'cause it's not going to get any smokier and I don't have to tend an oven. If you're getting prime - CAB high choice - don't worry about injections because it will be tender. I cook mine until an IT of 203-205 - if it jiggles when you touch it, it's going to be good.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here