Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i crazy or is BBQ better reheated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i crazy or is BBQ better reheated?

I vaguely hearing somewhere that a secret to BBQ was a really long rest time bordering on cooling then reheating. I never really thought much of it but i made a (wagyu) beef rib the other night. It was fine, not the best, not the worst. I purposefully cooked it a bit longer as the SO prefers a bit more fat rendered out which leaves the meat a bit more on the shreddy side. In any event, i reheated some today in a steam oven and I thought texturally it was a knockout--the texture seemed to come back together and it was ridiculously moist. The bark still seeemed fine despite the steam. Maybe it was from having clear (rather than smoke saturated) sinuses, but was wondering if anyone else might have reached similar conclusions (or has a strong opinion on the matter).

I think beef tends to be just as good, or a little better, the next day. I don't really find that to be the case with pork.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      So far for me, pulled pork is great the next day, just reheat it in a foil pack with a splash of apple juice if you didn't leave a lot of fat. I like pork tenderloin the next day even from the microwave. Ribs are ok reheated but the bark isn't as good. Pork loin, chops, etc I don't like reheated.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs , I forgot about pork tenderloin. That's one of my favorite leftovers for sandwiches for weekday lunches.

I love me some cold sliced BBQ lamb on toast to help finish up any left overs, beef works too.
    Is it better than the day it was cooked, in two minds, tasty both ways for me

Comment

BBQ is good anytime, any day. First day, second day, whenever.

Comment

Brisket is better the first day. Anything else reheats fine, and is at least as good the second day.

Comment

I think most beef reheats well.

Comment

I'm to lazy to read all the reply's lol but here is my 2 cents. Our nose is a wonder! it has something like 8 spots that hold onto smells. If all 8 or filled with the same smell it cancels that smell for a while. If your the pit master the smoke flavor will not be so prevalent. However the next day magically that wonderful smoke flavor is back!! So it does seem to be better the next day. I've also been known to not know anything about what I say! so it may actually be better the next day since the flavors have had a chance to redistribute through out the protein!!

Comment

• Stuey1515
              Stuey1515 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have found that a few deep inhales of coffee grounds seems to reset my sense of smell after a day on the smoker, also a shower before eating helps as well
              Last edited by Stuey1515; March 4, 2021, 02:16 AM.

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that's an interesting technique Stuey1515

(Posted from my phone)

Also while cooking smoke gets in your clothes, which can keep your sense of smell saturated.

Comment

I find that a lot of it depends upon how you serve it. For example, I love fresh off the grill tri-tip. But when I have leftovers (not often) I find that I prefer the leftovers as a sandwich. Not necessarily reheated.

But I have had pork ribs that I thought were better the second day and I definitely think pulled pork is amazing reheated if it has plenty of the original fat in it.

Comment

"Am i crazy or is BBQ better reheated?" Yes, if paired with PBR.

Comment

I like it fresh. Though pulled pork is great the next day.

Comment

When I lived in KC for a time, often ordered bbq from local places. Sometimes quality would seem off compared to rest of the time. Seemed to happen more on off peak days or early in day, so I chalked it up to being leftovers from the previous day. I mean it was usually still above average but other times it would be amazing, so I always thought the opposite. Maybe it was just off for another reason though.

Comment

Right out of the smoker is best for me (but BBQ leftovers are still really good!)

Comment

I can’t taste the smoke the day of, but after a shower I can taste it the next day.

Comment

This is why I’m a big fan of long rests. I’ve rested brisket and pork shoulder for 12 hours in a warm oven, and they come out great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here