Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made beef dino ribs. Looking at the cross cut, was it improperly trimmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made beef dino ribs. Looking at the cross cut, was it improperly trimmed?

I got a plate of beef short ribs from a local rancher. Having never done them before, I didn't trim them other than a little clean up. There was meat on the top of it so I assumed that was fine.

Upon finishing, it appears I had three layers... The meat against the bone then a layer of fat (silver skin?) then another layer of meat then fat then meat. The outer small portion of the meat that I applied the rub was pretty tough and dried out (still tasty!) but the center and portion against the bone was tender and juicy.

Should I have trimmed that outer most layer of meat and fat, exposing the middle layer as the new outer surface and then applied rub to that?
    Attached Files

Looks perfect to me, those are some meaty ribs! I don't do any trimming at all with plate ribs.

Comment

Nothing wrong with those ribs in my opinion. Quite the contrary. Go back to the rancher and buy more!!

Comment

Looks good to me too! The thick meat on that end is from up by the chuck and gets thinner towards the back of the steer.

Comment

A triple decker!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Dreidecker

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            ja mein Bruder Mr. Bones

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones, would that make them Red Baron Ribs..........or Fokkers?

Yes - this is not normal. Ya got more meat than I have seen on 'em. Send them to me so I can properly dispose of them for you - no charge...

Comment

I’m not the expert but I think the traditional beef rib cut is butcher trimmed so that the top layer of meat and a lot of the fat is trimmed. If that’s how you bought it I would not cut off the fat, you paid for the meat above

Comment

You usually don’t get that layer but I’m sure it’s good whether you cook it with the ribs or separately.

Comment

That looks awesome!!!!!

Comment

They look really good to me and no more trimming is necessary but how did they taste?

Comment

The bone should be longer, that’s not your fault but something you can fix next time. All you can really do with plate ribs is decide how much fat you leave on top.

Comment

Ust missing the PBR Tall Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwng View Post
                        They look really good to me and no more trimming is necessary but how did they taste?
                        The meat tasted great but having to cut and scrape through the two layers of fat/silverskin made me wonder if they weren't traditionally trimmed.

Comment

fkrall posted this link https://www.chefs-resources.com/type...ef-short-ribs/

based on this it sounds like you got a 123 cut. Possibly with a shorter bone

Comment

This is the equivalent of getting an extra yolk in the egg. It’s a good thing. Run with it, bro!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here