Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made beef dino ribs. Looking at the cross cut, was it improperly trimmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    replied
    Yes - this is not normal. Ya got more meat than I have seen on 'em. Send them to me so I can properly dispose of them for you - no charge...

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    A triple decker!

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    replied
    Looks good to me too! The thick meat on that end is from up by the chuck and gets thinner towards the back of the steer.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Nothing wrong with those ribs in my opinion. Quite the contrary. Go back to the rancher and buy more!!

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    Looks perfect to me, those are some meaty ribs! I don't do any trimming at all with plate ribs.

Leave a comment:

• Made beef dino ribs. Looking at the cross cut, was it improperly trimmed?

I got a plate of beef short ribs from a local rancher. Having never done them before, I didn't trim them other than a little clean up. There was meat on the top of it so I assumed that was fine.

Upon finishing, it appears I had three layers... The meat against the bone then a layer of fat (silver skin?) then another layer of meat then fat then meat. The outer small portion of the meat that I applied the rub was pretty tough and dried out (still tasty!) but the center and portion against the bone was tender and juicy.

Should I have trimmed that outer most layer of meat and fat, exposing the middle layer as the new outer surface and then applied rub to that?
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here