Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Buy Premium Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    you feed kids to chickens?!!!

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    ....that Ashton Kutcher....

• Panhead John
    replied
    Looks like Troutman lied to us. Found these on his Facebook page.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 27, 2021, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    replied
    We have been sourcing our meat from a local, small town butcher. Angus-waygu cross for beef. For pork we have more options: Duroc, Berkshire, and Berkshire-Mangalitsa. As a matter of fact, we had the furry pig rib chops last night for dinner. Not to mention all of his sausage, charcuterie, spreads and pates. The pork head & cracklin' rillette is a favorite of ours. Since it is just the 2 of us at home, we don't mind splurging on the good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I buy all my bulk stuff at Costco: ground beef, stew meat, that sort of thing. Also chuck roast. And lamb I tend to buy there. Steaks I get at my local butcher shop. Prime Packers from Costco are my absolute go to for brisket.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    JoeSousa We have a lot of great cattle ranches up here .... Painted Hills is better than Double R, in my opinion, and not quite as good as SRF. Pretty much all my steaks now are Painted Hills, which my local butcher carries.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I try to buy local whenever I can. However sourcing locally-raised beef that is NOT grass-fed is like sourcing a unicorn. Sigh.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    I thought it was Soylent Green!

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    CaptainMike there’s actually a ranch, Gates Ranch, that is directly across the street from my house but tragically, the owner recently passed away from the God forsaken virus.

Good idea on Winters! I know there’s a few ranches in Napa I just haven’t made my way out there in search of it. I work too much lol

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Living in a city literally translated from Spanish to "Cow Town" one would think you'd have more options. Have you checked to see if there's a butcher in the Winter's area that could help you? That is cattle country and I'd be willing to bet that you could find a rancher that grain-finishes their beef.

• Backroadmeats
    replied
    I agree completely!! I also am in a much different situation than most . There is a comparts pork farm 20 minutes away and I can get as many pigs as I want ,. I also know alot of small farmers that raise fantastic beef. We raise 100 chickens every year and I have kids to feed them!! I would say freezer space is the biggest fact in buying a 1/2 pig or a 1/4 beef but after the shortages last spring there are alot of people buying local and can't believe the difference in quality,. I get lots of calls from people that can't believe how good the pork chops are!! When everyone was freaking out last year because the meat shelves were empty I put a padlock on my walk in freezer because I had way more meat than walmart had!!

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    Yet another great thing about the Northwest is being able to get Double R and SRF at the grocery store for much less than it costs online. Very limited selection though.

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I have a lot of thoughts on this topic but that is for another day. To boil it all down, totally agree with you Troutman . There are some cuts I still buy at Costco and the like but most steaks are just better if you spend a bit more for higher quality. I would rather eat 2 or 3 high quality steaks a month from smaller farms than 6 or 7 a month from standard CAFO beef.

Other meats are the same. The flavor and quality you can get from a pasture raised chicken, wild caught salmon, forest foraging pork, etc. are so much better than the standard grocery store fare. It isn't necessarily a "big industrial farms are bad" type thing, the good stuff just tastes so much better.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I agree completely. My local grocery store sells Double R ranch beef, and that’s about the only beef I buy. Occasionally I’ll splurge for some SRF at the grocery store. To me, Double R ranch choice tastes better than CAB prime. For pork we have a few local producers with pretty good quality stuff and for chicken I usually get Mary’s.

Leave a comment:

• Andrrr
    replied
    So are you saying that slimer colored poop cesspool on the right is good or bad?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not paid placements, they are a curated selection of reviewed products.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. This has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to maintain and improve this site so please click our “buy now” buttons on product reviews!

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It’s among the best bargains for a smoker in the world. This baby cooks circles around cheap offset smokers because temperature control is so much easier. Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them.

Amp Up Your Outdoor Cooking Game By Joining The Pitmaster Club

AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster Club
Now the largest membership-based BBQ and grilling community in the world, the Pitmaster Club is sure to step up your outdoor cooking game. Experience the countless benefits — from monthly giveaways, to free products, to exclusive content, and more– by signing up for a 30-day free trial below! Get a free 30-day trial here.

BBQ And Grilling Gifts For Every Occasion

Looking for the perfect gift for the BBQ and grilling enthusiasts in your life? Here’s our suggestion for platinum and gold medal-winning products at a variety of price points. Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts.

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker, placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side. Click here to read ourcomplete review.