Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Buy Premium Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrik
    replied
    I agree 100%, thanks for posting. I buy good quality meat, but eat it less often. A real easy way of staying on the same budget.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    I am writing to get you started on Chicken, Pork, and Lamb. Then Framed raised fish, don't forget them. how about all those caged animals in the pet store? and who is that doggie in the window?
    I look forward to a time when man and beast will reside as one. and that is in the future.
    Happy grilling to you, and PBR too.

Leave a comment:

• JakeT
    replied
    Only quibble I have is that most everything completely local around here is 100% grass fed. I don’t like the flavor of 100% grass fed (at least the specimens I’ve had thus far)

i typically either buy USDA prime from Costco or order from creekstone (only recently).

costco’s lamb is from New Zealand and I read recently that American lamb is far less gamey. I’d like to try some for barbacoa/birria but haven’t found a local reliable (grain fed) source yet.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, we kicked around raising meat chickens but it just doesn't pencil out. We had neighbors that did that, but they were a family of 6. I think it was mostly to keep the kids busy taking care of the birds, et al. They would share with us and by golly it's best dang yard bird you'll ever eat, but I don't have ambition to take it on. Now, egg layers are another whole ball of wax and hoping to have the time to fix up a coop this spring.

• USMCCrashCrew89
    replied
    We’ve slowly been working towards buying our protein from local farmers, butchered through the local meat processor. It’s a significant investment and requires plenty of freezer space, but I consider us fortunate that we’re in an area with the ability to get both pasture beef and pork that was raised within our county.

Still haven’t gotten quite to sourcing local yard bird, I’m sure the neighbors wouldn’t appreciate setting a few out to my scenic tenth of an acre haha

Leave a comment:

• crazytown3
    commented on 's reply
    Same. Also, our local family owned grocery store, who buys all their proteins from the local small town processor, who buys from local ranches, etc.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Happens the island next door right now has a washed up humpback on the beach, but not sure if the rangers have any whale tomahawks for sale.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Stop it, I don't need logic right now.....blah.....blah....blah....I can't hear you

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I actually like whale tomahawks, better than beef

• CaptainMike
    replied
    We buy local grown beef, pork and lamb for that same reason, as well as to support our neighbors and friends. It's not even more expensive, but you do need the freezer space.

On another note, if you did cheap out on your meat tastes for a year or so you could save up enough for that dream Santa Maria grill. No divorce necessary!

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    What do you have against the whales?

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I'm with you Troutman ..... the only mass quantity beef I buy is Costco. I know enough about their program to know that their suppliers are in the top tier of all mass production. But I actually prefer my local butcher and the stuff they get from Painted Hills

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    started a topic Why I Buy Premium Beef

Why I Buy Premium Beef

OK I'm not some tree hugging, snot nosed, save the whales type but when it comes to putting food into my pie hole, I tend to be somewhat picky in the quality of the products I use in cooking. I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of the country where good, better and best quality meats of all kinds are readily available. If not there are dozens of mail order sources to get the best of the best delivered to my front door.

That said, I tend to choose beef sources from smaller ranches, usually prime or American wagyu grade, that I'm reasonable sure aren't pumped up with antibiotics and growth hormones or whatever they do to create bionic commodity beef. If that means a little more searching and a lot more expense then so be it. If you think I'm being too picky or am some sort of beef snob, then I suggest you take a look at one small portion of one of the hundreds of massive fed lots in Texas alone. Here's an aerial form the Tascosa Feed Lot just outside Amarillo, Texas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tascosa-Feed-Yard-Bushland-Texas-DETAIL_900.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	995307

Sorry if I just ruined your steak dinner . And don't get me started on chicken, pork or lamb !!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here