Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is brisket done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is brisket done

I've been researching brisket and have come to the conclusion that it's more important to be probe tender than try to reach a particular temperature of say 195 to 203.
    Of course, it's what ever you like. I've cooked them for 20 hours and I've cooked them for 11 hours. They are both done at a minimum temp of 165° but probe tender will result in a brisket that isn't tough and is real juicy. Going to 200° or so is ok but you lose some juiciness I think. So, I think they can come off at around 185° +.
    What say you?
    Last edited by Joetee; February 22, 2021, 09:11 AM.

I haven’t done near as many as I have Boston Butts, but in general I think 185 is on the low side and am more inclined to look for 195+.

Comment

195 is a good temp as well. This is probably my go to temp. My last one was I think 186 and it was awesome.
      My point was, most people seem to think 200-203 is ideal. Not me.

Comment

When it wants to be. Not being sarcastic in anyway. They all come out a bit differently. My American Wagyu briskets are usually probe tender between 190-195*, while a big old tough select one needs 205-210*. Again it depends upon the protein to fat ratio, you need to render that and collagen to make it where it isn't dried shoe leather.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey who you callin' a goon ????

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman must have been a Freudian slip...

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          "we'll get there when we get THERE!"

Yes I agree with that also. Also depends on time. In a pinch on time a little early doesn't seem to hurt much.

Comment

A good tip that I believe is from Harry Soo, is the brisket is done when it proves like you’re sticking a skewer into a jar of Peanut butter. I generally start testing it out around 190-195.

Comment

• latenight71
            latenight71 commented
            Editing a comment
            are you talking Skippy or some nutty Laura Scudder's?

Originally posted by Joetee View Post
          I've been researching brisket and have come to the conclusion that it's more important to be probe tender than try to reach a particular temperature of say 195 to 203.
          Of course, it's what ever you like. I've cooked them for 20 hours and I've cooked them for 11 hours. They are both done at a minimum temp of 165° but probe tender will result in a brisket that isn't tough and is real juicy. Going to 200° or so is ok but you lose some juiciness I think. So, I think they can come off at around 185° +.
          What say you?
          You kind of contradict yourself here, but I think you're right with the first bit. It's better to judge by probe tender vs a temp. But then you end with I think they can come off at around 185° +.. I'd say it's good to start probing at 185 but as others note, it's going to vary by grade of meat, point vs flat vs full packer and each packer will be different even if other stuff is the same.

The art of BBQ is that there is no one formula. Some people do briskets at 225. Some do them at 275. Some wrap, others don't.

Comment

You seem to have the idea. Probe Tender. Maybe add rest time one or more hours is a good idea, if you don't already, May I suggest you keep a log or journal for your cooks? For me, planning, timing, and recording the process and results are a big help.
            I use Meat head's Cooking Log or Diary: Use A Cooking Log Or Diary (amazingribs.com)
            Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Last edited by bbqLuv; February 22, 2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks you all. I guess my wording wasn't as good as it could have been.
              My point was, when I first started cooking briskets I thought I had to go with what I've read a lot, 200-203. I learned that for most of my full packers, 16-22 pounds, I cooked them much longer than needed.

I was only hoping to give some advice to the person that has very little to no experience with a brisket.

A good jiggle, squeeze, feel, bend test for tenderness sometimes is better than relying on the thermometer when it comes to brisket.
              Though you can cook them a little longer, sometimes a little less time gives better results.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                totally agree ..... if, for example, you cook a Prime Packer to 203, it's probably going to mushy and fall apart. More like a pot roast than a brisket. I find that Prime Packers are done somewhere more like 195. So, when the temps start hitting 190, I start checking for done.

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                I also agree too!

I only cook prime, so when they start wobbling when I give them a gentle prod I know it's time to pull 'em.

All of the above is great advice. I can't help but add a fun comment. Myron Mixon told me the best advice on how to make great barbecue came from his old man. "Daddy said to cook it 'til it's done", relates Mixon, "Now that may seem obvious, but you have guys who got up early and get impatient if it's taking longer than expected. I don't care if you drank a damn twelve pack, or it's raining or whatever; you got friends and family waiting for some good barbecue. Cook it 'til it's done"!

Comment

The temperature recommendations are not reliable because it’s the time under temp that softens the tissues. Toughness of the meat to start and temp variations all matter.

cook until it’s tender enough. Temp just tells you when to start checking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here