Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass fed beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass fed beef

I found a local butcher that sells local grass fed beef, which means I can take a break from the corn fed beef the stores sell. I've heard that they are less fatty and may come up to temp much faster. I prefer my rib eye at 130. Anyone have any experience with grass fed? Any reason to adjust cooking temp? I always use my thermoworks probe, which I love and my Treager pellet smoker. I go back and forth between reverse sear and cranking it all the way up for a fast cook at around 375 - 400.

I just picked up some grass fed ribeyes as well. I thought they would cook pretty much the same. Tonight I'll find out.

Comment

hiya! We basically only eat grass fed beef since we buy our meat by the cow (LOVELY neighbors ), so we cook with it virtually all the time. It's going to be a lot different, particularly with steaks. You definitely want to reverse sear, if you do the fast cook they'll turn into leather. keep it really low on the cool side and gradually bring them up to temp and then you can do your fast sear at the end. You'll also for sure want to do the dry brine trick ahead of time too, salt them up at least 2 hours before. The flavor is mind-blowing, and the tenderness can be too, if you treat them with s little TLC! Enjoy!! We're having ribeyes this weekend, just waiting for them to thaw...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here