Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: D’Artagnan grass fed Australian beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Looks fantastic. I am one of those who think that grass fed is tough. What was the tenderness like on this in comparison?

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    I don't think I have ever been disappointed with anything from D’Artagnan.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic Report: D’Artagnan grass fed Australian beef

Report: D’Artagnan grass fed Australian beef

There was some discussion generated when I first posted the deal from D’Artagnan. Well, the product arrived today, and it looked pretty doggone good, so I decided to cook one up for lunch and make a report!

The deal was... I don’t remember. Shipping was delayed a couple times because of the weather. But I remember it came out to less than $20/lb including shipping, which is good for premium product. Four each filets, ribeyes, and strips. Product arrived frozen and in good condition. The packaging is really nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A56CAC51-756C-495B-B372-85F73D5D54C7.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	987407

I picked a strip, I love strip steaks! These are lean, but not unreasonably so. The color is dark red, much darker than a typical American steak. Australian grass fed cattle are harvested much later than American cattle; US cattle are slaughtered at about 1 year, in Australia it’s 5+ years.

Name:	C8DD3B02-CE4E-443D-8C9E-81AA2F2C18EF.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	987408

The strips are pretty thick, about 1 1/2”. I decided to sear first, then put it into a 250* oven until it hit 125-130. I pulled at 127* and basted it with butter.

Name:	2A56111A-864D-4759-984A-96B1FE7051B8.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	987409

Name:	9BC637AC-8B14-42C5-8181-714266DB6B72.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	987410

On the plate. The side is cheesy mashed potatoes.

Name:	0A85BDD0-09F2-4E4D-AED8-BD98C340062C.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	987411

Name:	0917C778-9EAA-4C64-8FE4-D1C2A4ED641F.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	987412

The verdict: INTENSE. EXTREME.

This is absolutely the BEEFIEST steak I can remember. It’s like the flavor of two steaks in one. It’s mineral-y, iron-y, and packed to the hilt with umami. The texture is chewier than prime, but not tough at all; in fact, with every bite EXPLODING with beefiness, the extra time between the teeth is actually a good thing.

I’ve had grass fed beef that has matched what others have described: tough, chewy, watery, flavorless. This ain’t that. If the deal comes around again, and you have the wherewithal, spring for it. You will not be disappointed. I’ll let the crowd know if I get the email.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here