Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Angus Choice 1855 Briskets + #WhoDat1 = #BrisketHappiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Angus Choice 1855 Briskets + #WhoDat1 = #BrisketHappiness

Well, there was a reason I bought that huge insulated smoker...It's because I want to cook for bigger n bigger events, and I want to sleep sometimes.

Well, my buddy is planting a church, and they are reaching out to the neighborhood where they meet, not a rich neighborhood, and they have given a bunch of neighborhood kids the opportunity to go to camp this week. Well, my buddy Kedrick came to my place on his birthday for some Brisket, and he and the wife loved it!

So, they are doing a real cool supper for the kids and their parents at the end of camp, tomorrow night, and he wanted to do it big! So he asked me to BBQ. I started talking about Pulled Pork, economical and all...and he said, "Well how about Brisket."

I couldn't agree more.

So I got my food wholesaler friend to order us 2 cases of 1855, Angus, Upper-End Choice Briskets, from G F Swift.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275-180.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	98475

Yes sir, 124 pounds of Beefy Goodness. $3.89 a pound.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3277.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	98474

Is it well-marbled, you ask?

Name:	IMG_3307.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	98473

And here are Sam and Colin, who have totally gotten the BBQ bug from me, working their trimming skills:

Name:	IMG_3305-90.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	98477

I just lit the fire for the pit. The Injection needle is busy putting the the Butchers Prime Injection. The BBBR is ready to go on there, and they are going on the pit about 1-2 am!

Attached Files

That is CRAZY marbling. Can't wait to hear how this turns out!

Comment

That looks like fun!

Comment

We have trimmed!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's not a 5 minute job to trim, inject, dry, salt, oil and rub 10 briskets. Tonight, it was a 5 hour job...for 3 of us.

Briskets went on at 1:30 (except for the 3 smaller ones, which I will put on about 6 am).

Here's the view of the inside of the firebox while we were lighting it.

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	98497

And the back of the cooker

Name:	IMG_3308-90.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	98496

And this, my BBQ friends, is a fat cap...that took a while to reduce to 1/4 of and inch.

Name:	IMG_3311.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	98495

And if you remove 10 fat caps from 10 briskets, you get this

Name:	IMG_3317.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	98493

Then you get this

Name:	IMG_3316.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	98494

Then this

Name:	IMG_3319.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	98498

I'll watch temp (neither of my automatic pit temp control devices is working properly for this pit at the moment, so I'm limping along, adjusting temp via the ball valve on the fan intake), take a nap when I'm satisfied temps have settled, then put on the 3 smaller briskets around 6 am.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking brisky

Comment

Your a machine bro! Max respect to you and the team! Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Proper! very well done!

Comment

holy moley...i guess i don't understand how that is choice with that much marbling! did you do anything with those fat caps (freeze for burgers later)?

and here is my ignorance: what is "planting a church"? is that just "i put a church here now. this is a church"

Comment

• _John_
                    _John_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never heard of that either...

Awesome post!! Great job documenting whats going on. I love it. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

That is awesome. I have to spread my 12 brisket cooks over three days.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                      PaulstheRibList commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, we need to fix that! Now that you have a BBQ area with a house attached

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahaha. Maybe next year. Tis some work to prep briskets!!!

Amazing looking meat, great cause too, good on you guys!

Comment

Well, I'm definitely learning about the lower airflow in the cabinet smokers, or at least this one. The outer edges are blackening, and the middle staying wet and loose.

Name:	IMG_3326-180.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	98529

That one one the right is smaller, so I pulled it about 8 am, and put in the cambro (which I warmed with hot water), and I lit the stick-burner, to dry out that bark with some rocking, wood-burning airflow here in a little bit.

I waited a little longer, and about 10 hours into the cook, the bark on the regular size brisket looks good,

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	98528

The bark still looks a little funny, but is not wet.

Here is the upper cabinet with the 10 briskets in it

Name:	IMG_3325-180.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	98527

Comment

Oooooh, looooking good. You'll definitely get a feel over time on how things need to be rotated.

Comment

Jerod Broussard , I hear ya on the rotation. Did I mention I hate moving meat? It puts your meat at risk for loosing precious Mrs. Brown!

I did a biscuit test last night to do some quick intel on the hot spots, and smoked biscuits taste great at 1:30 am! There was a little difference in them, but not much. We put the bigger meats on the racks that seemed hotter.

About 8 am, pulled the upper shelf out and moved it to lower...that was hard! My welding glove started transferring heat quickly, and both racks had probes hooked to them. So glad I got the 10 foot probed with the BBQGuru CyberQ Wifi - so I had room.

The mussy small one just went on the stickburner to crisp up...then I'll put it back in teh cambro to get more mushy. Maybe I'll crisp them all up before we head out later today.

And, I just realized I don't have enough cambro room without stacking them on top of each other, so I guess I'll wrap in butcher paper to make that easier.

I have been in the habit of wrapping in butcher paper at about hour 8 lately, but these were past the stall (the average size and small ones) before the bark was set, so no wrap.

the edges, where the heat seems to concentrate, are more crisp. Maybe I'll lay them longways to avoid that.

And, I'm thinking I need a circulating fan like they have in an FEC240 and the Stumps XL Stretch, to get that bark formation rocking

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                            Jerod Broussard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah, I prefer fat cap up because it seems like the flats get real uneven when I do fat cap down.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here