Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Processing Cut Sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Processing Cut Sheet

With the craziness of last year and wanting to get more involved in where exactly our food is coming from, we are taking the steps of getting a whole steer butchered and processed for our freezer. I’m going in with my folks so we can split it, since I figure that gives us the most flexibility as far as the cut sheet. Right now I’m planning on doing one side of the rib primal as ribeye steaks and the other as roasts and splitting out the filet and strip steaks, but other than that I was looking into some input or advice from those that have been through this process before. Ideally we would be minimizing the amount of ground beef that we end up with. Anybody got suggestions on cuts to be sure to get?

steaks, roasts, ribs, tri-tip, oxtails, Brains for scrambled eggs, the rib roast with first 4-5 bones, Brisket, Stew meat.
    When I butcher a deer what I can not cut into steaks goes into burger meat.
    Happy Grilling to you, and PBR too.

Comment

Honestly, the best person to ask is going to be the people doing the cutting. I know we have a couple professional meat cutters in our ranks, but the people processing your steer have most likely cut up more cows than I have seen.

Comment

This article https://beef.unl.edu/beefwatch/2020/...ct-beef-animal might help and I would watch the Bearded Butcher video where he demonstrates all the possible cuts from a side of beef. However, there are just so many prime cuts you can get from a carcass and a large portion will end up ground meat. I once read an article that stated that the main problem online beef suppliers have is getting rid of all ground meat. Everyone wants the steaks, roasts and briskets but their storage is always packed with ground meat they have a hard time selling.

Comment

I just went through this with a pig. The butcher should have a cut sheet for you. Yes?

Comment

I do have the cut sheet that I have mostly figured out, I guess it’s the "Special Requests" box that is throwing me threw the loop, I guess that’s where’d I’d have to talk to the processor to see what they are capable of, like doing the tri tip, etc?

I was planning on keeping the short ribs and brisket on at least one side and grinding the other half to give some of that goodness to the ground beef, but I also have a pretty heavy duty grinder at home so keeping them whole and doing a custom grind at home is also an option.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I like to keep cuts on the larger size so I can have some flexibility at home. You can do a partial thaw to cut up what you want for your intended purpose and then refreeze what you don't use without damaging the meat. For instance, partially thaw a rib roast (it's still hard but slicable) cut off some steaks, then return the roast to the freezer. I learned this from a couple of local butchers (we do live in cattle country). Might be more work than most want to do, but I enjoy it.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, and you're going to get a lot of hamburger. If you want a certain fat ratio you should ask them to do that for you.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Our processor also does chipped beef which we use as a partial alternative to all the ground. It can be a nice change in some recipes.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here