Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Beef on a Weber 22"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Beef on a Weber 22"

Hey all! I've done a fair amount of pulled pork, that has always managed to come out really surprisingly well! As opposed to my attempts at baby back ribs that are hit and miss at best thus far! I've been wanting to smoke something beef related though, and this coming weekend I think I have my chance! I have a couple spare beef shoulder roasts in my freezer that were/are intended to be ground up into burgers, but I would like to try smoking one into some pulled beef. I've seen others claim that you can just cook it exactly like pulled pork and it should come out just fine, any other opinions on that? It's about the same shape, looks to be about the same fat content as the pork butts i've done before, so it stands to reason that it should cook about the same? Thaw it a few days, salt it up the night before, rub it up with memphis dust in the morning, and smoke at 250 for ~12 hours, +/- a couple hours?

Treat it exactly like a pork shoulder with the exception of the rub. For me (and many Q aficionados), MMD is too sweet for beef, I would use Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub or just a lot of salt and pepper instead. Good luck, show us some pics of the final product!

Comment

• niall111
      niall111 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had indeed forgotten about the Big Bad Beef Rub, but I'm gonna use that instead for sure, thanks!

As a side note, the fact that this site makes it's rub recipes free-for-all was a big deciding factor in me signing up and supporting the site. The "other" site I was on wanted me to pay for access to their fancy rub recipes, which is their prerogative I guess, I just didn't like that they were hiding the recipe from people who may not be able to afford $20-30 to sign up to a dang BBQ website! In my opinion, all recipes should be free, hide "exclusive" forums behind a paywall if you like, that is much more palatable to this nerd.

this thread provides some insight

Last week I just happened upon these two beauties while shopping at Costco. These are Angus Chuck Roasts that together weigh in at a little under 5 lbs. I brought

Comment

• niall111
      niall111 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I hadn't come across that thread yet in my travels. I found it odd that he mentions a really high initial BBQ temperature, but never mentions what he settled on for a stable temp? Maybe it's just assumed that you cook at 250 at that point?

I have been under the impression that I should let my coals "chill out" after pouring for a bit, and get my temp down to 250 before throwing the meat on. Is there a benefit to that high initial temp, or perhaps does it not really matter all that much, as long as you get down to "normal" 250 range before too long?

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      i have a gas smoker but i kept my temps around 250 and all was well. i always wait until the smoker is at temp before i put on my meat simply because i want to have the meat be cold longer so it soak up more smoke.

• niall111
      niall111 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good point on the initial meat temp, I wanna absorb as much smoke as possible!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here