Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brisket I've made yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best brisket I've made yet

Best brisket I've ever eaten, or made.

Snake River Farms Wagyu Black brisket. 14.6lber, pretrimmed. After trimming I'd guess it came in around ~10lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7895.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	97860

Here it is just as after I started trimming the fat cap side (down in this pic)

Name:	IMAG7899.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	97861

Trimmed the majority of the fat between the flat & point, but didn't remove it entirely although almost. Notice the grain running in different directions flat=left, point=right.

Name:	IMAG7901.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	97862

So I'm not the best with a knife, I don't care. I tried to leave about 1/4 - 3/8" fat cap. I think I hit that mark for the most part.

Name:	IMAG7903.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	97863

Dry brined about 20 hrs. Hefty dose of Kosher salt, little more than the recommended dry brine. (Worked out amazingly good).

Finished brisket was 19" x 9". Fit the entire thing on the 22" kettle easily.

Name:	IMAG7909.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	97865

Generous dose of Big Bad Beef Rub added to non-fat cap side, little more than what most might add. Meat not entirely visible underneath, intentionally. Fat cap got normal dose.

Smoked with post oak. Fat cap up, since more heat is up than at the grate.

Name:	IMAG7924.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	97864

Smoked 10 hrs to 180/190ish (point and flat were maybe 10-12 deg off from each other, the flat being warmer at 190ish) then wrapped in foil tightly no liquid.
    No butcher paper this time, long story. Taken to: flat 205, point 193 while wrapped. Let the kettle come down in temp to "power cambro" it.

Let it power cambro for 2 hrs, 12hr total cook with hold. Meat was still upper 180s when pulled to slice.

Name:	IMAG7706.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	97866

Sliced like butter.

Left- flat. Right- point (rotated 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then sliced)

Name:	IMAG7708.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	97868

Name:	IMAG7711.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	97871

2 of my buddies who are BBQ aficionados, (although non-AR readers) said things like "this is how brisket is supposed to taste", and "I don't remember the last time I had 7 slices of anything, but that was fantastic". 3rd guy said he usually never even goes for seconds of anything but he went for thirds! Even my wife, who is as honest as can be with my Q (which I prefer) said everything was balanced well, the salt, spice and the smoke. I was pretty thrilled it turned out so good and I was able to provide such a nice meal to my friends & family.

The slices were pullable, needed a light press of the fork to cut, and the fat was soft as butter.

Sorry some of these pics aren't as clear as I hoped they'd be.

Name:	IMAG7710.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	97869

Name:	IMAG7709.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	97870
    Attached Files

Looks awesome Huskee but I don't remember reading where Aaron Franklin cook his briskets on a kettle...

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee you might be able to find some oak or red oak on Craigslist locally.

• SmokinDTown
      SmokinDTown commented
      Editing a comment
      Move to Texas! Plenty of Post Oak there! Looks great! Well, it looks better than great, really.....and I'm still cookin' biscuits on my smoker.....

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SmokinDTown!

Fantastic looking brisket! Makes me want to run out and buy one!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Doc!

Amazing!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon!

Makes me really hungry for brisket! That Wagyu must have cost a few bucks per pound. Great pics too!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah they're not cheap that's for sure. Roughly $10-11/lb. Cheaper per lb than grocery store steaks...but if you factor in all the trimming necessary with a brisket, the cost goes to about $16/lb or more.

Well, THAT says a lot!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Job well done!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Looks terrific! That makes me hungry, still have an hour left on my ribs...

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John!

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ribs were the best yet, but even with that I still would have rather had a great brisket.

Looks really awesome Husk. I gotta try one of these SRF briskets some day. #thatsmokeringtho

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John! I think the Wagyu brisket is a splurge item for this camper, hardly an everyday thing...but wow if you know how to cook one it cooks up SOOOO good.

Looks awesome, I would love to try some wagyu meat sometime.

Silly question perhaps: what is post oak? Is it a specific type of oak tree?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik! The Post Oak is a small white oak, Quercus stellata to be exact (from a quick Google search), native to the Southeastern and South-central USA, from the Carolinas west to Kansas and down through central Texas. It's small size makes it ideal for making fence posts, hence the name post oak. I used to think it meant old fence posts, lol.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thanks!

• Jimbobaya
      Jimbobaya commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure sure where all it grows in the U.S. I'm from Texas. In central and north Texas what we are known for is post oak and brisket. Aaron Franklin (Franklin's BBQ - Austin), Justin Fontaine (Pecan Lodge - Dallas...ironic naming though) are known for cooking with Post Oak. Black's, Smitty's, Kreutz's, and City Market all known for post oak. East Texas you'll find most on Pecan. West Texas is Mesquite wood. But the bulk myself (not that I should be mentioned with the above) included cook on Post Oak. In your area it also might be called white oak.

Awesome cook! Pics are great too. Need to post those on the site

Comment

Huskee, Love the cook and pics! And, #Bonus, your wife approved! That's great you have an objective taster in the house.

OK, what did you find different about cooking the Black Wagyu?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        RockOn, Huskee!

This learning and becoming competent at stuff is so fun!

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaron mentioned on one of his videos, when asked what kind of beef he used, that he uses Angus. I assume that meant Certified Angus, which must be Choice or better, in keeping with Meathead's dictum.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd he says in other videos, or maybe his book- or both- that he uses only Prime, 'it costs more but it's worth it', to paraphrase him.

OHHHHHHHH YEAH... Great Cook!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks man!

ontheranch I specifically asked for one from your ranch. I can only assume it was, since it was amazing! You do good work.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        ontheranch Oh, ok, so the Northwest beef ribeye filets I've been eating are yours...that's it!

• ontheranch
        ontheranch commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, I need to clarify. I totally misspoke last time. We supply product to AB (Agri-Beef). SRF is a subsidiary of AB. It is ONLY wagyu and kurobuta pork. We do NOT do wagyu....most of our product goes to their DoubleRRanch brand which is also excellent. Our calves are usually fed out at El Oro Feeders in Moses Lake, WA. Sorry if I misled you.

AB has a great web site...check out all their divisions and products. Anything from any of their subsidiaries is quality meat.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        ontheranch I understood completely. From what I understand, what they market as "Northwest Beef" is the Double R brand, which for the last year or so is under the same umbrella as the main SRF website. I've purchased more NW/Double R beef than I have Wagyu. It is all excellent!

that's awesome. inspirational.

Comment

Looks great huskee... Can't wait to try a brisket

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here