Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brisket I've made yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice!! What temperature did you cook the brisket at? 225-250?
    Last edited by airforcekixbutt; July 20, 2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Avg temp where the probe sat was 235-238, and thanks!

YUM! Looks absolutely beautiful.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Candy!

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!

Comment

That looks fantastic!! Makes me want to get a stick burner. Not surprised that it cut like butter, but did you notice any difference in taste compared to a prime or choice brisket?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Taste no, no taste difference that I could poinpoint (but it's been many months since my last one). It was more moist, but that could likely be due to it being Wagyu. I had a better technique this time too though.

Huskee, looks like you knocked it out the park with that brisket!! I've never tried one yet but been wanting to and now I'm considering making that one of my first cooks when I get my SnS.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, in hind sight it's really easy! Except for the getting up early part. Cooker was warmed up and meat was on by 6:10ish am, and meat came off after 2 hr hold at 6:15pm. Just follow Meathead's advice in his article. And watch Aaron Franklin's trimming video (he has two, the shorter "BBQ w/ Franklin" one I find to be a little better, better closeups and camera angles)...unless you already know what you're doing. But let's face it, we all could use pointers from the pros. Although unlike Aaron I removed most all the fat between flat & point as shown above...I find this to be a great thing to do. Place it fat cap up if using the SnS in the kettle. Don't trim too much fat cap off (I made that mistake on my last one). Wrap when the bark looks good to you, not necessarily at the stall in fact probably not at the stall. I went to the 180-190 range, which was after a 2-3hr stall, before wrapping. Tight and dry foil wrap.

That is some mighty fine looking brisket. Nice work!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir!

Looks excellent! Does the dry foiling affect the bark? Curious what the point of foiling after the stall is? Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Well done, Huskee!!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir!

Wow, that's beautiful, Huskee ! I can read your excitement about it through your post. It's always a thrill when a cook goes so perfectly. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Lol, yeah it exciting after I seen how well it turned out. Such a pricey piece of meat I'm a ball of nerves while it's cooking wondering how it will turn out.

Originally posted by Crimedawg View Post
        Looks excellent! Does the dry foiling affect the bark? Curious what the point of foiling after the stall is? Thanks for sharing!
        Crimedawg Thanks! Not that I'm uber experienced, but dry foiling doesn't braise the meat so has less adverse effects on your bark. The bark was intact nicely, but not hard and jerky-like, like it may be without any wrapping. I wrapped to quicken the cook the rest of the way, and I went after the stall so I had good bark prior to wrapping. Many people wrap at the stall, which will save you the most time, but I wanted a little more solid bark first with less pot roastyness.

Comment

Oh my... that there is a brisket to aspire to!!! Great pix to boot I could almost taste it just looking at it! Well done sir!!!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Quick question on your beautiful brisket. I'm still doing my homework before I smoke my first brisket. If your going to slice the whole brisket and not make burnt ends, how do you cook the whole brisket and not over cook the flat end and properly cook the point end?

Comment

airforcekixbutt Well, that is an answer that can take a couple forms depending whom you ask. Most will tell you to inject the flat. I have never injected a piece of meat yet, and to be honest it's not something I really have any interest in doing. I have had flats get on the dry side (but still great and very edible) and to a certain degree it may be unavoidable when cooking a whole packer. Others will tell you that you should separate the point and flat and cook them separately since they have different timing and you can pull the flat off quicker to avoid the risk of overdrying it.

In my case above I used a Wagyu brisket (higher than USDA Prime), expensive but very high quality and excellent marbling. I strongly feel this helped keep the flat moist, perhaps more than a standard cut. I also used a very generous dry brine, more than the typical recommendation. ALWAYS leave some fat cap on, and position it between the heat and the meat! I cooked fat cap up, since on my cooker the hotter air was above. This helps shield the meat from the heat some, a buffer. In other cookers, like a vertical cabinet style, you'd want the fat cap down most likely, since all the heat is then coming from below.

Also, I have found that instead of separating the two muscles completely, I can shorten the gap of cook times between the two muscles by removing ALL of the fat layer between the flat & point, as you see in the pics above. This removes that insulation layer and helps the point cook a bit quicker, and therefore the flat doesn't cook as long.

Comment

Huskee, thanks for the reply. I will add this information to my notes.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here