Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brisket I've made yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time poster here - I'll be attempting my first Wagyu brisket on Sunday.... and my first packer (I've only done HOF before) so a few quick questions:

1) Did you inject, or was the fat content high enough to keep everything moist?
    2) What temp did you smoke at?
    3) Why did you take the brisket to a higher temp (>170'F ) before wrapping in foil?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by flavorguy View Post
      First time poster here - I'll be attempting my first Wagyu brisket on Sunday.... and my first packer (I've only done HOF before) so a few quick questions:

1) Did you inject, or was the fat content high enough to keep everything moist?
      2) What temp did you smoke at?
      3) Why did you take the brisket to a higher temp (>170'F ) before wrapping in foil?

Thanks in advance!
      1) I don't inject, I think the Wagyu made it unnecessary. It was very most, even the flat slices
      2) I can't believe I didn't include that tidbit, good catch. Average smoking temp was 235 F.
      3) I wanted a good solid bark, one that wouldn't flake off when slicing. Too much time wrapped in foil when the bark hasn't been established well enough and my bark seems to be a little more pasty than I'd like. Per a recommendation from Jerod Broussard I began looking less at temp for wrapping, and more at bark for wrapping, which tends to be between 180-190 for me, or after the stall ends.

Look forward to seeing your cook!

Comment

Huskee, it lends credibility when the moderator can cook like that! Especially using a Weber Charcoal Grill, that everyone can afford, my hat's off to you! Dan

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the great compliment Dan!

Thanks for this topic reigniting. I ordered a SRF American Kobe brisket, and have much the same questions.

The forum is the best place for immediate answers, but you can also find enduring answers at the recipe sits of Amazing Ribs. In fact Huskee just answered there, my very same questions about preparing, cutting, injecting, and timing. The advantage is that you don't have to do a search, just go to Meathead's brisket page. there you will find most FAQs answered for posterity!

Comment

looks amazing. thanks for the writeup. never dry birned a brisket yet. will have to try now.

Comment

Wowser... That's a beautifully done brisket! Great pictures too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here