Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brisket I've made yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Jon!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Doc!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks SmokinDTown!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Paul, and your compliment coming from a brisket king himself, I am honored!! Yeah she was in love with it as was I. We don't get it much and when we do and it's that good it's special. Brisket to us is like king crab or lobster tails! Lol.

What I found different, aside from cost, was nothing on the cooking end of things. The first few briskets I had done were learners, and this one was less a learning thing and more of a practice-what-I've-learned thing. So not sure if my techniques improved that much or if the credit goes solely to the cut of meat, probably 40/60 technique/meat. I read a lot of you guys' posts and take mental notes, and I've watched Aaron Franklin's YouTube videos probably 3 or 4 times each. I felt real good going in and it all worked out how I hoped it would!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Henrik! The Post Oak is a small white oak, Quercus stellata to be exact (from a quick Google search), native to the Southeastern and South-central USA, from the Carolinas west to Kansas and down through central Texas. It's small size makes it ideal for making fence posts, hence the name post oak. I used to think it meant old fence posts, lol.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks John! I think the Wagyu brisket is a splurge item for this camper, hardly an everyday thing...but wow if you know how to cook one it cooks up SOOOO good.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks John!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah they're not cheap that's for sure. Roughly $10-11/lb. Cheaper per lb than grocery store steaks...but if you factor in all the trimming necessary with a brisket, the cost goes to about $16/lb or more.

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Huskee, Love the cook and pics! And, #Bonus, your wife approved! That's great you have an objective taster in the house.

OK, what did you find different about cooking the Black Wagyu?

Leave a comment:

• SmokinDTown
    commented on 's reply
    Move to Texas! Plenty of Post Oak there! Looks great! Well, it looks better than great, really.....and I'm still cookin' biscuits on my smoker.....

• David Parrish
    replied
    Awesome cook! Pics are great too. Need to post those on the site

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Looks awesome, I would love to try some wagyu meat sometime.

Silly question perhaps: what is post oak? Is it a specific type of oak tree?

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Looks really awesome Husk. I gotta try one of these SRF briskets some day. #thatsmokeringtho

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Looks terrific! That makes me hungry, still have an hour left on my ribs...

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here