Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Bark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Bark

Good Day All,
    Cooked a 12 lb Brisket yesterday came out ok.
    Probe tender in point a little stiff in flat , put in cambro for a few hours.
    The bark was not what I would like.
    The question is how to get bark after cook?
    If possible.
    Throw on grill when reheat?
    Thanks in advance

Pictures? What was off about the bark to you? What rub?? What temp did you smoke it at?

Comment

Did you wrap while cooking? Even when resting in cambro, did you wrap tightly? Did the bark look good before putting into the cambro?

Comment

• PNWsmoke
        PNWsmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Bark really didnt look good to me.
        Sorry no pics

Forgot pics as family was there with grand kids. Now in fridge.
      Temp was 35f at 5am when smoker lit.
      Put brisket on 6:50am smoker 225. brisket 44f
      kept steady 250f
      11:30 am brisket 160f
      Noon stall not moving at 173f
      12:30 wrapped in butcher paper was planning 6:00 pm dinner
      13:30 temp on the move , brisket 195f in flat, probe still stiff
      14:00 200 - 207 probing various spots.Tender in point and flat some spots not so much. Thought could stick in cambro cooler for few hours would fix the flat.
      I think because it was pulled too soon maybe bark didnt set right.

Comment

Don't have a clue from your post.
        Looks like you did it right. Perhaps the rub. You may wait until the bark is the way you like it and then wrap it.

Comment

Focus less on IT, at least until the bark looks right to you. In fact, I don't even see the point of inserting a probe until wrapping, if you go that route. Also, I would suggest cooking at a higher temperature. Git 'r done and then use some of the time you save for a longer hold in the Cambro or cooler.
          Last edited by Steve R.; January 21, 2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Cooked at 250 for 7 hours and it got to 207ish? That’s sounds like a pretty quick cook for a 12 pounder. I usually cook at 275* and a brisket that size takes around 9-10 hours plus 1-2 in the cambro. I think somehow you cooked it too fast so a lessor bark formation.

Bark formation is a complicated chemical reaction and change to the outer layer of your protein. It is not a burning of the surface, you are not reverse searing. It’s a polymerization of the outer surface formed as a result of heat, moisture, and the compounds in smoke over...wait for it....time.

I guess you got a Jimmie John’s brisket, it got done "freaky fast".

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              It could also be the fat content of the brisket. Lots of variables here.

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              After wrap , I did open up to 275 ish

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              jlazar I thought about that looking at the cabinet in his avatar. Could be the reason. Still my point remains, bark is a time thing, hard to get a deep one on the quick.

He pulled probe tender in the point and tough in the flat. Wasn't done yet.

Ignore the point on a full packer, focus on the flat and get THAT probe tender before you rest.

Comment

Thanks for responses
              I concur not done yet.
              I use a gauge on door, Therm pro probe in meat and CDN instant probe. Also checked with infrared and all are similar reading.
              Maybe because of insulation around smoker temps rise faster?
              Still learning process.

Comment

Troutman has nailed a lot of what I believe in the process that has to happen to get quality bark, and it takes time to make bark.

Comment

I don’t dare wrap until I’ve got the bark I want. After that, wrapped in the cambro the bark will soften.

The "fat flash" is my recommended way to go after getting it out of the cambro.

Heat oil (or better yet rendered fat from trimming the brisket) to ~350F, put the brisket on a grate or a cooling rack on a sheet pan. Pour the hot oil slowly over the entire brisket surface to flash fry the bark. This is messy so have a container or sheet pan under the meat and do it outside). Do at arms’ length with gloves so you don’t get splattered.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...sh-method.html

Comment

• PNWsmoke
                    PNWsmoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmmmm

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would argue that’s a bandaid of sorts. The method works for a porchetta because it crisps up the skin. If the bark isn’t there to begin with, hot oil isn’t going to create bark, just spruce up what’s there.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right. The flash is to revive the bark. It’s useless if the bark isn’t there to begin with.

Did you try putting it on a PBC?

sorry. Had to say it
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here