Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Questions For Upcoming Brunswick Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washblue
    replied
    I’ll bump this older post about an old stew…
    I have fond memories of Brunswick Stew…
    My Mom cooked a lot of it!
    When I say a lot, I mean a lot…
    She would cook two big wash pots on the ground over live oak coals… for community fundraisers…
    Dad and other men would barbecue two 4’x 8’ sheets of expanded metal full of Boston butts over live oak coals…
    It was the job of kids to swap turns continuously stirring the pots with wooden paddles you could paddle a canoe with…
    That was an annual thing 50 - 55 years ago…
    Merit badges should have been awarded for not letting the stew stick to the pots…
    Mom expected no credit for cooking those huge vessels of stew… as accolades go to the true originator meat stews…

The Cavewoman…

Looking at Meathead’s recipe… it should be a good one!
    Onion, garlic, tomato and fresh corn are the only vegetables…
    I use smoked and pulled pork and chicken for my meats…
    and readily available sauces and spices… things not found in an average cave-wife’s pantry…

Last edited by Washblue; October 6, 2022, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    Bkhuna as a Virginian, I disagree. It was made prior to the Civil War in Brunswick County, VA. Here is an interesting article.
    This has been a friendly debate for many, many decades.
    https://www.southernliving.com/bbq/b...k-stew-history

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    More like plenty of squirrel food here. wu7y

• wu7y
    commented on 's reply
    Shouldn't have to go far for squirrel. Seems like there's plenty of 'em right here in this website.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Take a drive down to Brunswick and attend the annual Brunswick Stewbilee.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Brunswick GA claims the title of the home of Brunswick Stew. They got a marker and everything to prove it

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    A most excellent start, Sir!

Lookin forward to followin along, on yer stew cook, if I might!

• BradNorthGA
    replied
    So today I went to the butcher to get my pork butt, and I took the advice of Alabama Smoke -- told the butcher what I was planning and asked what they recommend. She told me that she uses beef chuck for brunswick stew, grabbed me some and gave me some tips on how she makes her brunswick stew. So I definitely went with that!

Leave a comment:

• BradNorthGA
    commented on 's reply
    Great info, thanks a ton

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Highly agree, regardless of protein used, if it was already smoked, no sear...

Sounded to me like he was mighta gonna toss raw chuck into a pot of water / boullion...

As previous stated: in that case, me?

I would sear it.

Thanks fer sharin yer experience in th proper selection of th proper ingredients with us; it'll definitely help me start out much closer to regionally correct Brunswick Stew...

Much appreciated, Brother!

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    You better listen to him. He's
    Pre-med

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    Not sure about beef. I have always used smoked chicken thigh meat and smoked pork butt. Call me a traditionalist
    When I assemble a Brunswick stew, I use meats that I have already cooked/smoked. I usually smoke them on Saturday, then make the stew on Sunday. I don't sear anything, just smoke it like you would just to eat. I think if it were me and I HAD to use beef I would use chuck roast and smoke it until you develop a good bark. Then fridge overnight and cube the next day for your stew. You have to use cubed potatoes and lima beans/butterbeans or it is not a traditional stew (Born and raised in Virginia). I also add a little brown sugar for the sweet and savory and hot sauce for the spicy bite. Let us know how it comes out!
    Once you use the recipe on the site, try this one to see how it compares. I don't use 1.5 cups of bbq sauce but use .75 cup bbq sauce and .75 ketchup.
    Last edited by Hulagn1971; January 22, 2021, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Nee-Ice...

BUT: Does they also offer it up with 'Squirrel'???

• BradNorthGA
    commented on 's reply
    Oh there we go, even easier

• bbqLuv
    replied

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here