Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled flank steak, with smoked bacon as a bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled flank steak, with smoked bacon as a bonus

I was having a friend over for dinner yesterday, so I thought flank steak would be a good choice. Quick on the grill, and with great flavor. But since I knew I was firing up the grill anyway, I might as well do something else with it, while the coals were burning, so I decided to smoke me some bacon.

I had 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of flank steak, and 2.2 lbs (1 kg) of bacon. Quite a load of meat for three people

First run: fired up my BGE, and tuned it to around 220° F. I dry brined a hunk of bacon (pork belly), and then rubbed it with mustard and some pork rub. Placed the meat on the grate, and let time and heat do the job. When it hit 140° F (60° C) internal temp I applied a first layer of maple syrup. I then let it sit until internal temp was 194° F (90° C). I glazed it a second time with more syrup, then wrapped it in aluminum foil and a towel, and let it rest for 1 hour.

The bacon, after 1 hour (many more to go):

Click image for larger version

Name:	bacon_on_grate.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	97601

The bacon, sliced and ready. Super moist and full of flavor:

Name:	bacon_sliced.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	97600

Second run: time for the flank steaks! I dry brined them a couple of hours before grilling them. I added a new load of charcoal, and removed the plate setter to get the grill flaming hot. Once temp was way up, I placed the first steak on the grate, and gave it a good sear. I flip twice, as I believe it is better to flip often. I checked internal temp of the flank steaks, to make sure I didn’t get them higher than 130° F (54° C). I then let them rest a couple of minutes, then added salt and black pepper.

Here's one of the flank steaks, nice color:

Name:	flank_steak_fibers.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	97604

Gettin' my grill red hot for the searing:

Name:	bge_thermometer.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	97605

One of the flank steaks after the first flip, starting to get color:

Name:	flank_steaks_seared.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	97603

I served it all with a potato gratin with a layer of parmesan cheese on top, and green asparagus. All fresh, and the flank steaks came out truly terrific!

Here's the end result, look's nice, doesn't it?

Name:	flank_steak.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	97602

And the plate, served with potato gratin and asparagus (and bacon on the side):

Name:	flank_steak_plate.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	97599

Overall, this was an amazing meal, proper Q if you ask me. Can't wait to do flank steaks the next time.

Attached Files

Wow - that looks amazing .. I bet your friend really loved it....

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, he sure did. I haven't seen a guy eat that much in a long time. There was hardly any leftovers for us...

Awesome as usual Henrik!!! Thanks for posting!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Smarkley!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here