Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Butterfly, stuff, roll, slice, cook.

• jerrybell
    commented on 's reply
    Man that looks good.

• jerrybell
    commented on 's reply
    I thought the same thing. What a great photo!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Mmmmmm. Tell me more!

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    Don’t forget flank steak pinwheels!

Click image for larger version  Name:	454A1871-0B12-4CB3-B650-875170134CA9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	764.5 KB ID:	973787
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D897E7F5-0D5E-40E1-9E7F-B2C030E1B11B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	762.5 KB ID:	973788
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8C285703-855C-4E18-A38F-46C94F4456BD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	960.3 KB ID:	973789

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I've cooked steaks and chops up to about 1" thick on the flat top, and even if I slightly overshot my preferred temp on the steaks, they were nice and juicy.

The flanks I cook are always thicker at one end - so I shoot for medium rare on that end, the other end will be medium well, and everyone gets what they want.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    grantgallagher yeah - I've done them on the regular grill (a gasser) and on the flat top. They taste about the same either way, but since I was cooking all the other fajita fixings (peppers and onions) on the flat top, why not throw the flank steaks down too...

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris Yes, that's a great piece from Lodge because you get 2 for 1. I've used the lid more than the base and it is great in the grill.

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Cant believe ive never thought of doing them on my flat top! Thats def happening next time.

• GBA
    replied
    Souvee @130d for 4 hrs char in cast iron 1 minute per side equals tenderloin with flavor

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    Flank is our preferred cut for jerky, again, cut across the grain, takes marinade very well. Also do the fajita and taco filler methods similar to what the folks have shown above. A really versatile cut.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    Made Flank Steak tacos last night. I used a rub. Next time I will marinate.

Like everyone has stated hot and fast. I built a two zone fire in the WSCG and cooked on the hot side flipping every 30 seconds. Took about 5-8 minutes. I let the thin side overhang on the side without charcoal so it would not over cook. Be sure to slice across the grain.

Leave a comment:

• tiewunon
    replied
    How about something with a bit of South American flair "Matambre". Though in SA they use a slightly different cut of meat. However my wife (Colombian) never let that stop her she has made it multiple times with flank steak.

OR

Google "Mad Max Beyond Eggdome" rolled flank steak. This gent has some skill. He also has one of Dizzy Pigs rubs named after him. I tasted this at the Waldorf Eggfest back in the early 2000's. Darn good. I did not post the link to the recipe because its on a competing forum.
    Last edited by tiewunon; January 14, 2021, 05:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I cant add a thing to this conversation other than I need to cook another flank!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Last time I did flank, it was for fajitas over the holidays, we had a lot of leftovers and ate it different ways... on salads, with baked potatoes, etc. These I just whipped up a marinade consisting of a variety of spices including chipolte, orange and lime juice, a little rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and so on, and put them in a 2 gallon zip log bag and turned a few times during the day.

Look at the juice coming out on that cutting board!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3974.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	973640Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3976.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	973638Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3977.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	973639
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 13, 2021, 11:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here