Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flank steak

Suggestions

This is about the only cut of beef I bother to marinate, then grill hot and fast to medium-rare in the thickest part. Slice thin against/across the grain, and be sure your cutting board has grooves to catch all the juices!

It makes great fajitas, or just great steak in general, and is enough to share.

Comment

BBQ, season, grill fast and hot to MR, slice think across the grain. Taste to see if worthy to pair with PBR.

Comment

Fajitas

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_194625.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	973584

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a beautiful shot! I'll have to try it on the kettle/kamado at some point, if not doing enough to fire up the griddle. That looks like the top half of the Lodge double dutch oven? That would be handy, as no handle sticking out like on my Lodge 12".
          Last edited by jfmorris; January 13, 2021, 11:32 PM.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Yes, that's a great piece from Lodge because you get 2 for 1. I've used the lid more than the base and it is great in the grill.

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought the same thing. What a great photo!

Like a few above said, hot and fast, and as tacos/fajitas or in the wok with Asian flavors....perhaps bulgolgi or broccoli and beef.

Just make sure it’s cut across the grain or it’s tough.

Comment

I don’t marinade. But, this is a cut, I make sure I trim the thin sides off of,I also make small slits with a sharp knife with the grain and stretch it out a bit with my hands to loosen it up a bit. Could be my imagination but, to me the salt, the trimming, & stretching out of the cut, all assist in more char flavor and flame to enter the cut = more flavor, for less cooking.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A9840D5C-246F-4879-9949-895CC7E87CCC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.04 MB ID:	973606
          Click image for larger version  Name:	FD39B46F-34C6-4530-B52D-D8E763708EAD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.36 MB ID:	973607
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 13, 2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks perfect.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

Two marinade recipes I've followed that are great for this cut (or London broil):

Meathead's London Broil recipe - I know this is flank, but this marinade is the bomb:

London broil is NOT a cut of meat. It is a cooking method and here is a modern recipe to make it properly with a simple marinade.

Raichlen's Filipino inspired marinade:

Grilling recipes and barbecue recipes from Steven Raichlen and the Barbecue Bible. Find inspiration for the grill from our collection of recipes.

And pretty much anything with some cirtrus or a little vinegar in there - acid helps tenderize the meat. For fajitas, look for a marinade recipe that includes lime or orange juice.

Comment

Last time I did flank, it was for fajitas over the holidays, we had a lot of leftovers and ate it different ways... on salads, with baked potatoes, etc. These I just whipped up a marinade consisting of a variety of spices including chipolte, orange and lime juice, a little rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and so on, and put them in a 2 gallon zip log bag and turned a few times during the day.

Look at the juice coming out on that cutting board!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3974.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	973640Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3976.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	973638Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3977.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	973639
            Last edited by jfmorris; January 13, 2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Cant believe ive never thought of doing them on my flat top! Thats def happening next time.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              grantgallagher yeah - I've done them on the regular grill (a gasser) and on the flat top. They taste about the same either way, but since I was cooking all the other fajita fixings (peppers and onions) on the flat top, why not throw the flank steaks down too...

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I've cooked steaks and chops up to about 1" thick on the flat top, and even if I slightly overshot my preferred temp on the steaks, they were nice and juicy.

The flanks I cook are always thicker at one end - so I shoot for medium rare on that end, the other end will be medium well, and everyone gets what they want.

I cant add a thing to this conversation other than I need to cook another flank!

Comment

How about something with a bit of South American flair "Matambre". Though in SA they use a slightly different cut of meat. However my wife (Colombian) never let that stop her she has made it multiple times with flank steak.

OR

Google "Mad Max Beyond Eggdome" rolled flank steak. This gent has some skill. He also has one of Dizzy Pigs rubs named after him. I tasted this at the Waldorf Eggfest back in the early 2000's. Darn good. I did not post the link to the recipe because its on a competing forum.
              Last edited by tiewunon; January 14, 2021, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Made Flank Steak tacos last night. I used a rub. Next time I will marinate.

Like everyone has stated hot and fast. I built a two zone fire in the WSCG and cooked on the hot side flipping every 30 seconds. Took about 5-8 minutes. I let the thin side overhang on the side without charcoal so it would not over cook. Be sure to slice across the grain.

Comment

Flank is our preferred cut for jerky, again, cut across the grain, takes marinade very well. Also do the fajita and taco filler methods similar to what the folks have shown above. A really versatile cut.

Comment

Souvee @130d for 4 hrs char in cast iron 1 minute per side equals tenderloin with flavor

Comment

Don’t forget flank steak pinwheels!

Click image for larger version  Name:	454A1871-0B12-4CB3-B650-875170134CA9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	764.5 KB ID:	973787
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	D897E7F5-0D5E-40E1-9E7F-B2C030E1B11B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	762.5 KB ID:	973788
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	8C285703-855C-4E18-A38F-46C94F4456BD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	960.3 KB ID:	973789

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mmmmmm. Tell me more!

• jerrybell
                        jerrybell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man that looks good.

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Butterfly, stuff, roll, slice, cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here