Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 pound Tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 pound Tri-tip

I'm cooking a pre-marinated almost 4 Lb. Tri-tip tonight on a natural gas grill, any hints? I can sear either before or after, I prefer before .

I prefer to reverse sear a tri-tip. Excellent cut of beef.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I usually reverse sear when I cook it on the Pit Barrel, especially when it's rubbed versus the Burgandy/peppercorn marinade.

Comment

Before or after just be sure to not over cook and slice as instructed on the free side. Can't go wrong!

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          100% Agree

I treat them like a big ole steak and reverse sear. As said above, make sure you slice it correctly. Helps with tenderness.

Comment

Medium Rare, light SPG seasoning, slice thin across the grain, pair with PBR.

Comment

Us So. Cal boys have got to stick together - Can't really go wrong with either a front sear or rear sear. But my tip is start by searing one side for 3 minutes, flip and baste. Start your clock for another 3 minutes. Repeat until you get the crust, fond or caramelization you want then move over to indirect and finish to your desired internal temp. Don't forget that third side that puffs up as the muscles start to contract.

Crust is where all the flavor is, so I don't wait until the end (rear sear) to develop it.... but that's just me

Comment

Sorry I am late to the party but I cook mine on the Weber 22 with slow n sear. Cook on the cool side till 115 internal temp then sear both sides for 2 minutes. Please post picks of results

Comment

I always reverse sear, smoke in the Rec Tec at 220 until 115 internal and have the Weber gasser heated to about 450 and sear on my GrillGrates Griddle and be sure to cut against the grain when brought in. I do like making some garlic butter and put that on each plate with some drizzled olive oil and put the hot pieces on top....wife says don't change anything, like I would.

Comment

Here's a good slicing video.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here