Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Loin "Roast" with the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Loin "Roast" with the SnS

I portioned off about a 3.5 lb "roast" from the 10 lb whole NY Loin that I got at Costco (and then cut the rest into individual steaks). Gave it a few hour dry brine with kosher salt and a homemade seasoned salt. You can see that I left the bottom layer of fat on for the cook - don't know why, just did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19733983446_8e112c84f2_o.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	97326

Put a half chimney of lit Blue into the SnS and put the roast on indirect. Also prepared some Mustard Aioli Yukon Gold Potatoes, which have become a family favorite, and added them on with the roast.

Name:	19137576534_fb49beea8a_o.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	97327

Just before doing the reverse sear, I moved the potatoes to the direct side. This was somewhere around 45 minutes into the cook. The grate was a little on the warm side, to say the least.

Name:	19572143128_fcf79aac4e_o.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	97328

(When I pinpointed the coals themselves, the IR read "HI," which is somewhere over 1050.)

Roast got a nice reverse sear from this

Name:	19139271933_40a5a5f48e_o.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	97329

The temp was perfect. I got mine just above rare and gave two steaks/slices another few seconds on the grill to medium for others, and the center of the roast was a true rare so when I heat it a little tomorrow for a steak sandwich it will still be medium rare.

Name:	19572139858_8baaa4eb79_o.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	97330

And the end product, with finishing salt

Name:	19572135550_494d051785_o.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	97331
    Last edited by The Burn; July 17, 2015, 05:05 AM.

I'm drooling and I can't even see the pictures.

Comment

Is there supposed to be pictures?

Comment

Can y'all see the photos now?

Comment

I see them, fantastic! I think someone is taking pictures for a restaurant menu or something. How's the texture doing a strip loin roast like that?

Comment

Huskee - it was almost like tenderloin. I can't imagine it was just from the slow cook - I've had the choice Costco NY Strip that I've fabricated myself before and reverse seared. So it must be doing it like a roast. And, the SnS, of course.

Makes me regret having broken down the rest into steaks.

p.s. people should try these potatoes too. It's a Bobby Flay recipe and I posted it in the Potatoes area
            Last edited by The Burn; July 17, 2015, 08:19 AM. Reason: To add link to potato recipe

Comment

What a great- looking cook!

Kathryn

Comment

I never have seen one of these... must be an eastern/western thing. When I first saw your pic, I thought it was a boneless rib roast.

Good Cook BTW... looks great!

Comment

Mouth watering indeed, great cook!

Comment

I am gonna have to ask a butcher about getting one of those roasts... it is haunting me now! Hahahaha

Comment

Can you post these at ABCbarbecue? And it looks like a dry water res?

Comment

• The Burn
                        The Burn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, reservoir was dry.

O M G that is an awesome cook! Definitely post those to FB or ABC!

Standing O from Pit Boss.

Comment

Thanks all. I don't know that I deserve the accolades as it feels like I just put it on the grill and let it go.

smarkley - this isn't a roast that I've ever been aware of. What I bought was a whole top loin from Costco. I've bought one before and broken it down into individual steaks. (I've also bought a whole rib eye and done the same thing). These usually seem to range from 10-15 pounds with no bones. I just thought it would be an interesting experiment, so I cut this large piece and then individual steaks from the rest. However, when I just Googled "New York Loin Roast," various recipes came up, so I guess the roasts can be found or requested.

Huskee / David Parrish - On ABC, is posting photos under Disqus discussion area?

Comment

• David Parrish
                          David Parrish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          TB you can definitely post those pics in Disqus. If you email them to Huskee he will add one or more to the main site. Thanks!

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, huskee [at] amazingribs [dot] com

Wow, great cook. A+

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here