Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Cold Weather Brisket 🤞

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For everyone who spent a sleepless night, tossing and turning, wondering about my brisket cook, here it is. Got it on the grill at 7:30 am.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I stayed up all night, but your brisket was only the fourth thing on my mind. Where to get a cup of coffee was #3.🙂

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t believe I wasn’t #1. 😢

7:30 am.... slacker. Retirement goals.

Heck I went to bed about 7:30 last night. I can’t start a brisket that late without cranking her up to 11.

1.99 at Costco. Great price. How long will it take you to eat all that. I’m best at that part. 38° is a wee bit chilly around these parts. Usually around 43°-50° on the overnight temps.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s not as big as it looks. It was only 9 lbs. BEFORE I cut off the point and trimmed the fat. The point is what I’m cooking so I’m guessing it’s maybe 5 lbs. I’ll probably be eating on it all weekend. Might invite a buddy over to eat and watch some football. You went to bed at 7:30! Wow.

Glad to see you took everyone's advise and got up extra early.

Comment

• xaugievike
      xaugievike commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything moves a bit slower in the cold.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually woke up at 4am and couldn’t go back to sleep. I’m running it right now at 255-260. Based on past briskets I’ll probably pull it about 5pm and rest in the cooler for a couple of hours. That’s the plan anyway. 🤷‍♂️

7:30am and you don't even need a flashlight. Must be nice....

Comment

Just an FYI, but Lowe’s carries pink butcher paper. Didn’t know this till I started looking around for some yesterday. $25. for 18” X 100’ Not a lot of stores carry it. You have to order it online from Walmart. At least here.
      Edit: Ok, just saw where Academy Sports and Outdoors carries it also. For $20.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

So, all though that is cold for you, I don’t believe from a smoker standpoint, that temp would change much. If you take the lazy Richard approach, I start mine at like 8 or 9 pm, and sleep. When I wake up,it is generally 12 hours, later, and I wrap around 17 hours, but, I take advantage of sleeping while it is getting a good smoke bath. Looking forward to seeing your cook.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 9, 2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

4 1/2 hours in. Coming along pretty good. Might be about to hit the stall, only gone up 3* in the last hour. That’s ok though, got plenty of time.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Hit the stall. It’s been at 167* now for an hour. Gonna give it another hour or so, then decide if I’m gonna wrap or ride it out.
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 12:46 PM.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Ride it, so much good in the stall. You can always wrap it after and crank it up and finish hot and fast.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good

@PanheadJohn either that has been the longest stall known to man OR those pesky front yard penguins satiated themselves on your brisket.
          Honestly hope it came out superb and you enjoyed it.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks tiewunon I had it out with a couple of those pesky penguins. 😂. Actually the brisket turned out great! I posted it at SUWYC.

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            @PanheadJohn Thanks will navigate over that way. Those darn penguins will get you everytime.
            While I am playing this "elf on a shelf" thing with this arm I am eating vicariously through others cook's. Back to my Marachaun now.

This brisket turned out as probably my best ever. After the 3 hour stall showed no immediate ending, I wrapped it in butcher paper and back in the smoker for a couple of hours. After my coals gave out I decided to finish in the oven at 225* - 250* for the last 2 hours. After reaching an IT of 202* I pulled it out of the oven, still wrapped, and placed it in a towel lined cooler for 2 1/2 hours. I then sliced it up and ate around 7pm. All in all this was about a 12 hour process, start to finish with an approx. 6 pound point end of the brisket.
          1. 7:30 am put brisket on smoker running around 240*-270* mostly. IT of brisket was 44*
          2. At 12 Noon the IT was 166* and smoker still running around 250*. The stall had just started around 11am or so. Only went up 3 degrees in 2 hours.
          3. At around 2pm I pulled the brisket and wrapped, returned to the smoker.
          4. 3:30 pm IT was around 178* and not moving much, coals starting to die out so I put in a 250* oven til around 5:00. Pulled it out when IT was 202*
          5. Cambro till 6:45.....Pulled it out and starting slicing it for dinner.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Panhead John; January 10, 2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice, great color, nice and juicy.
            No harm, no foul finishing it in the oven
            Just watch your fingers and especially your toes for a few days, if they start to turn black frostbite

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Yeah, once you wrap it, no more smoke is gonna be absorbed anyway. Lots of folks will finish in the oven a couple of hours if needed. I wasn’t about to light more coals that close to the end. No frostbite luckily! 😂
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 10, 2021, 09:01 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here