Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Cold Weather Brisket 🤞

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Cold Weather Brisket 🤞

Well, tomorrow morning I’ll be doing my first cold weather brisket. It’s supposed to be 38* and cloudy at my house tomorrow morning. I know...I know, all you Northerners are probably calling me a wimp, wuss and a weenie. 😂 I "plan" on lighting the coals at around 7am. I’ve never done a brisket at these temps before. I’ll probably be ok, just wondering if there’s any special things I should prepare for. Since I’m only cooking for one, I cut the flat off and am doing just the point. I’ll save the flat for another day. Here it is trimmed and seasoned for the night. I’ll be smoking it on my WSM and using the water pan, half full of hot water to start.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 8, 2021, 07:58 PM.

My advice, should you choose to accept it, is don't start your fire at 7, start at 5 or 5:30. My typical brisket, wrapping after the stall, takes about 12 hours. Unless you want to eat at 7 or 8 or 9 pm, I suggest you start a wee bit earlier. But again, not a heavy, up to you. And yes, 38 is November or March temperatures in Michigan, so I'm laughing at you. But, 95° is miserably hot to me which is a normal afternoon for you! Have a good cook!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, it might effect it a little, cuz the temp is a little cold.
      And, we are laughing up here! 🥲😂🤣😅
      Don’t ferget to wear mukluks & a hoodie, just sayin.
      Last edited by FireMan; January 8, 2021, 08:54 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan What the hell is a mukluk?

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Mukluk's are the Arctic version of a flip flop....seal skin boots indigenous women fashion for life on the sea ice.

I'd start off around 275°. If it looks like it won't finish by 6 PM, bump the temp up to 300°.

Comment

Agreed, get the fire started early and move your cook temp up 20-30 degrees or so, put on some shorts and shove your beers in a snowbank.
      No wimps, wuss's, weenies on this site....

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        LMAO! You da man! 😂

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I can relate, but the older I am the colder it gets.

Yer gonna be fine, there in th brutal, sub-arctic clime of Houston, amigo!

Count on runnin yer fire some hotter, as said above. Also count on burnin more coals to achieve /maintain temps. Make sure ya gots enough briqs on hand.

9 pounder, or not, it's gonna depend on thickness, an not weight, as to how long it takes to cook; leave yerself a margin of error, an rest it longer, if done early.

Have a great brisket cook!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 8, 2021, 08:41 PM. Reason: r

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, brutal. Sub-Arctic. Teeth chattering!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bonesy. It’s true about that sub Arctic climate here. Many a Houstonian has frozen to death at even warmer temps.

Well, I won't call you a wimp, wuss, or weenie. But I will inform you that around here 38F in January is called a heat wave! Best to you on your cook.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m such a puss. 😂😂😂

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        38F a heatwave? Today in Portland OR is was 51*.
        Next week it is going to be 55*
        Global warming! LOL

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv Don't even get me started on Portland winters! I hauled liquid argon from Trail, BC to the Port/Van area for three years, 2007 - 2010. One winter the area was hit hard with snow, I would believe Houston is better prepared to handle snow than Portland. Took me three hours to get from Hillsboro to Troutdale. I had to chain up just to get out of the driveway of Intel. Insult to injury? Blizzard conditions through the Gorge to the Dalles.

I called you a lot of other things before I got to the W words....

Im on the "earlier" train here. You can always hold it in a cooler if it gets done early.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir. Got the cooler ready.
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 05:18 AM.

You’ll probably be all bundled up in a heavy coat, gloves, and stocking cap too wimp. At 38, I’d still be tending the fire in flip flops and a t-shirt. It’s actually decent weather here this weekend at half that temp. In my experience wind matters way more than temp...not saying cold doesn’t affect things, but had more troubles at 40 with wind than 10 without.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, up here it’s the wind, unless it’s 6 degrees, then it doesn’t matter. Down there they say, "it’s the humidity", yessir, the humidity.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed on the wind, she's right outta the north today.
        Got an edge on it too.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool First off, Congrats on yer Retirement today, Brother! Hoistin a Sailor Jerry n CoCola, plus more Sailor Jerry Northward, to celebrate this Momentous Occasion, Brother!

Least when th wind is outta a ~general direction~, one can kinda tack / adjust th smoker, an work with it... easy, peasy, usually, regardless of ambient temp...

Likely th worst one I've fought in decades, mebbe ever, was th #stayincookout ; it was quite th struggle to maintain a steady fire...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 9, 2021, 08:33 AM. Reason: s

Yup, Ol’ Panhead is never goin to live this’n down. Prepare fer yer arctic blast my friend.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        He won’t come visit us in the winter.. it’s why the north won the civil war. Lol

Y’all laugh all you want. I’m ready for tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	331AFF67-2A80-481A-BF68-2C4F4605D46C.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	970857

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        cl

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re full of crap HawkerXP That was a full blown "Like" if I’ve ever seen one.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you are wearing shorts, flip flops and a short sleeve t.

Watch your back. 38F is prime hunting temperature for these fellows. Many Northerners from the San Antonio area have had to fend them off during their brisket cooks
      Click image for larger version

Name:	F39053E3-088D-4379-A400-F856C2E14DC4.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	970860

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thankfully, I’ve heard they haven’t migrated to Houston.... yet. Hopefully, the Murder Hornets will kill them off before they get here.
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 06:43 AM.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Why am I not surprised at this post?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Toss a beer keg in the pool and they'll leave you alone.

I usually keep the pit temp the same all year round. I may have been wrong to do this, but since I don't know any better, it seems like a good idea. You will have to plan for burning more fuel in the "cold" But seriously 38* is "cold?" It's mid twenties here and it's being called "nice for this time of year" Next week we will get all the way down to "chilly" when lows hit the barely double digit range.

Comment

You guys need to think about this though. It’s not just our freezing weather here, but Houston has a big problem with penguins. They’re constantly disrupting brisket cooks city wide. This pic was taken last winter in my front yard.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 9, 2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Too formal for my liking, dry cleaning a tux is expensive

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          OH NO! The men in suits They're coming to take me away: Ha! Ha!

Humidity affects the transfer of heat. Cold weather, in general, has lower humidity.
        I cold weather, below 40*F, a little affect on time, but not much. Happy hour yesterday on AR was about cold weather BBQing.

Comment

38...yikes! That’s pretty hardcore to bbq in that extreme weather! Even up here in the northwest corner it’s not that cold tomorrow ...maybe tonight, but not tomorrow...kinda rainy too .
          Click image for larger version

Name:	7D847639-438F-4714-8C97-9A9DFC3DFA04.png
Views:	141
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	971124
          ​
          Last edited by Red Man; January 9, 2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s showing now.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d rather smoke in -20 then rain.

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz -20!?! No thank you. 🥶 I can put a canopy up to deal with the rain. Also, it practically never rains hard here, just a light drizzle.
            Last edited by Red Man; January 9, 2021, 12:06 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here