Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pastrami looks like when you don't have it in the cure long enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pastrami looks like when you don't have it in the cure long enough

Still delicious though. Interesting how the uncured portion is the exact shape of the brisket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	969665Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	969666 \

That’s pretty cool looking, actually. You could tell everyone it is your smoke ring.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy schamoley! That’s kinda cool!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Polarbear777 I wish!

I bet Meathead may like to add that picture to some of the curing info on the public site! A picture is worth a thousand words and what not.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I followed the curing times from the free site. Maybe I was a little tipsy and inputed the thickness of the brisket wrong by .25"?

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      YES!

That shape is awesomely wicked. FYI I don't throw that expression around lightly.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, brah! (first time I've written/said that word) Seems like a fitting response though

The first one I did from scratch was like that, I thought I did the right amount of days... still ate it and it was still good.

Comment

Just claim it was "art"

Comment

Sometimes if you massage your meat it will help it penetrate better...... did I say that wrong Helps all that saltiness get inside...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Way wrong. in this case I think he would have needed a deep massage. Of course them dudes are in there and they're really jockeying around 4 position and whatnot, so it looks like a little more time and it would have been a done deal.

Best of both worlds.

Comment

JakeT is right. May I have permission to post this picture to the free website as an example? I will give you credit (unless you wish to remain anonymous).

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Of course! Thrilled to an AR cautionary tale!

I've taken to curing for shorter times to just add flavor to any meat without actually corning it. I haven't seen how it is that sodium nitrite changes the flavor and sometimes the texture. And I don't recall the reason the meat turns red.

Years ago, I ate some cured and smoked Blacktip shark, wow that was good and the meat was pink and translucent.

Cured some venison last year (doing some now) but did not get all cured, various shapes of individual muscles, and yep, the uncured area was shaped just like the muscle.

Comment

I have seen that with ham.

Comment

Feature it. New design in pastrami. politically correct, modern, new and improved, Progressive. The salivatingly salty flavors of pastrami make for a wonderful pairing with the crisp, clean, and dry notes of delicious PBR beer. No Pastrami is harmed in making PBR.

Comment

I have posted that pic here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely

THANKS!

Comment

• Smoking77
                  Smoking77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank YOU!

So cool!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here