Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook frozen steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook frozen steak?

I found this Cook's Illustrated video very interesting. I'm wondering if there are ways we can work with these findings when smoking. Does the sear in front block the smoke flavor? Would searing in the rear render the whole exercise pointless?

He did say fresh steaks had better texture, my two cents is do it the way we have been. I still prefer the sear first method as well

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried the reverse sear technique exactly as MH has advocated? You can't get the wall to wall doneness when you sear up front

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't thinking of this as a better way to cook steak, but rather a better way to cook steak that you had to put in the freezer for whatever reason. For example, my wife's grandmother frequently sends us Omaha Steak packages.

It would be cool to smoke from frozen to a specific IT then do a reverse sear, like what I do now with sous vide, but with the smoker instead. The problem is that if the steak is frozen, you can't insert the temp probe before you put it in the smoker. So what we need (are you listening research team?) is a time chart of thickness to thawed (enough to get the probe in) at 180/225F smoker temps. So if I have a one inch thick steak, I can set my smoker to 225F and know that in 25 minutes (for example) it is thawed enough to insert the temp probe in the middle. That way I don't have to keep opening up the smoker to check - I only have to open once.

Comment

Use a drill, or try something like this: http://tinyurl.com/ltjdgbt

Comment

An oiled rod... hmmm. I'd want it to be stainless or food grade plastic.

Comment

Looking around the web for something similar to the temp probe that could be inserted into the steak before being frozen, US size 6 knitting needle is about the perfect diameter and has a pointy end. Down side is they're a bit long, but they could be cut easily.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I'm worried that the outside will be over cooked by the time the center reaches the target. Not a problem with sous vide because the outside is the inside temp.

Comment

• _Keith
              _Keith commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying: sear it, seal it, sous vide it? (Assuming that we are starting with a frozen steak)

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              No I seal, sous vide then sear. Usually really seal, freeze, then later sous vide from frozen then sear.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here