Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browsing Costco Meat Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsing Costco Meat Counter

I was at one of our local Costco stores yesterday, and did my usual browsing (stalking?) at the meat counter. Saw a few interesting cuts that are not commonly in stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Costco Top Sirloin Cap Steak Bnls.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	969098

Name:	Costco Tri Tip Steak.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	969099

Name:	Costco Top Sirloin Steak Bnls Cap Off.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	969100

Don't leave us hanging, did you buy them all

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, I bought none of them. When I am at Costco by myself, I am put on very strict budget parameters. It's my own fault. I'm like a kid in a candy store with no self-restraint.

Them are dang gooooood steaks!

Comment

Blade tenderized prime meat, why do they insist on doing that?

Comment

• Loren
        Loren commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh well that would make sense! 🤦

I agree; it is strange as mechanical "tenderizing" is pointless on prime grade and known point of food contamination 😖

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really really hate that. So much that I refuse to buy cut steaks from Costco. I’ll buy the whole hunks (loins, rib sections) and cut them myself if you can’t keep your grubby little blades out of my meat.

The only good thing to use one of those tenderizers on is to poke holes in three trays of cherry tomatoes I’m about to smoke.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really, REALLY have to want to buy the steaks at Costco vs whole cuts. Sometimes I do buy them, and cook them SVQ. Sometimes the price is just too much for me to resist.

Those Tri Tips look awesome!

Comment

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya they do. They ALMOST went in the cart. But I followed my orders and kept moving to the milk and eggs.

The marbling on those tri-tip steaks looks great. Just remember it’s still tri-tip, so if you cook it past medium-rare it will be like shoe leather...even with that great marbling!

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        But if it’s blade tenderized it’s not safe at medium rare unless you SV it long enough above 130F. Which is why they shouldn’t do that.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, Costco steaks typically get cooked SVQ at my house. Easy to do, and doesn't end up overcooked just to satisfy the 'safety warning'.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777 Didn’t notice the "blade tenderized" part. So lame to do that to a nice cut of meat. I don’t recall the last time I bought cut steaks at Costco. I usually stick to brisket and whole rib eyes.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here