Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Brisket And Dino Ribs.......In A Grocery Store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Brisket And Dino Ribs.......In A Grocery Store?

I was just at an HEB grocery store in Pt. Arthur, Tex. today and was surprised at what I found. If you’re not familiar, HEB is a Texas based grocery store with 340 locations only in Texas and some in Northeastern Mexico. Anyway, while shopping for steaks there I found Wagyu Briskets and 4 bone packs of beef plate ribs! I’d never seen these in a large chain grocery store before. Maybe others have? But anyway it looks like the growing popularity of these items are going more mainstream. Have any of y’all seen Wagyu or Dino Ribs in a large chain grocery store before? The Dino ribs were choice grade. The Wagyu brisket was only $6.99 lb. Saw a good selection of choice briskets on sale and had to get one. Haven’t done a brisket in a while.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 3, 2021, 02:48 PM.

Trend lemmings have wiped out the retail beef plate market. Like all things, once something gets popular the supply goes down and the price up.

I remember when Scotch Whisky prices doubled in the mid 90's.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Scotch Whisky, okay for sipping, high land, single malt. But it is not Bourbon, Old Crow sour mash, with a PBR back. 😛

They’ve had Wagyu brisket from Mishima Reserve and now SRF for about a year and a half. Did a couple of posts on cooking them probe tender, aged and pastrami. The ribs began showing up about 6 months ago.

You been hiding under your pet rock again?

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve.

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      But no man, our HEB in Leon Springs hasn't had plate ribs...I should go look though...lots of ribs could have been cut off those prime rib roasts.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ddmcwhirter Reckon it couldn't hurt to look, since peak rib roast season is over now...

If'n ya still come up empty handed, find th main butcher an see if they kin be ordered...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 3, 2021, 10:55 PM.

I saw prime dino ribs the last time we visited our son in Austin in, (you guessed it), HEB.
    Last edited by RonB; January 3, 2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You have an out son? 🤔😁😂

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx fer the heads up Steve B - corrected...

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John - you should know.

HEB seems to stay in touch with current trends in Texas. Dino ribs have taken off in the past few years so they started carrying them, as Steve said, about 6-7 months ago. I've cooked a rack and they were good. I ran across the wagyu briskets at an HEB in Austin in May 2019 and bought one. I was headed to Fredricksburg and hit the HEB there, they had three - me and my friend bought them out. They ended up being the best briskets I've ever cooked. They were also $5.99/lb back then.

The Port Arthur location only carries the wagyu briskets around holidays but you can ask them to order some anytime.
    Last edited by 58limited; January 3, 2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I was very surprised when I saw them today. I didn’t know the Wagyu briskets had been for sale that long. But again, I rarely shop at HEB, wish I had one a little closer to my house.Thanks for the heads up on ordering one. Didn’t know that.

When is the HERB moving to VA? That's what I want to know.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John, I'm thinking his son was Howard Butt, Jr. who did those "The High Calling of Our Daily Work” radio spots up until he died a few years ago?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      So when are the HERB stores coming to Texas?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. Not sure about his son, I don’t remember hearing any of those commercials. But I guess it’s possible.

You'll notice it is called "AMERICAN WAGYU."

Actual Wagyu in Japan are raised on open-air farms, unlike the open range pastures we have here. I guess open-open-air pasture is no go for top quality Wagyu.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Knew that. At first I thought it was Canadian Wagyu.

Do you need my address?

Comment

I can only get choice or prime at Costco.

Comment

That brisket is VERY deceptively labeled. it does NOT say "American Wagyu" which actually has a meaning. It says "American style Wagyu "
        Last edited by rickgregory; January 3, 2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          It actually says American Wagyu.....Whole Packer Style. Check it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94C721F1-C2B3-492A-A1C9-1FF7D3B70049.png
Views:	329
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	968349

Comment

HEB is clutch.
          We've been in Dallas less than a month and I already miss them.

I went to the closest grocery store and asked the person behind the butcher counter if they had pork belly. They said "No. I don't even know what that would look like".

Asian grocery down the street had a stack of them, thankfully

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea Asians love their pork but don't ask them for a steak, you'll get the lonnnng stare

Panhead John - Their label does but not the actual label on the product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.57.31 PM.png
Views:	315
Size:	615.5 KB
ID:	968364

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            "The ones I buy have a Mishima Reserve or Snake River Farms label."

Which annoys me no end - because I can't get that for the HEB price.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea most of them are Mishima Reserve which is an American Wagyu farm out of Oregon. Every once in a while an SRF makes an appearance, probably their black grade not sure. I can tell you the Mishima's are the real deal, cook up great, better than their Prime 1. Forget the HEB label, that's something they slap on there.

As for the price, I have no idea how they do it but I kiss the hand of the guy that buys their meat !! Must be a volume deal, that's all I can think is happening.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman There was a barbecue trailer here in town that served SRF American Wagyu briskets. He told me the price he was able to get them for directly from SRF and I nearly fell over. I believe it was something like $4.29 a pound or something around there. So for a place like HEB I would guess they could buy a pallet or two of briskets from SRF, sell at $5.99 a pound, and still make some decent money.

We’ve had the Briskets for a month or 2 and Plate Ribs and other Wagyu pieces since the end of the summer. I’m west of Austin.

My dad had me over sometime during the summer for some Waygu ribeye cap steaks, very good, but they we’re insanely expensive. He claimed it was heart healthy beef, I laughed pretty hard. After doing some research, there is a ranch in Columbus who has one of the largest heards of ‘Wagyu” cattle outside of Japan and they raised the bull that its related to 80% of the ‘Waygu’ cattle outside of Japan.

There are a growing number of operations raising them in Texas now so it didn’t take long for H-E-B to get ahold of some. my neighbors son who works in the meat dept in my H-E-B says they come just like the other sides of beef and are coming up with different ways to cut them up to take advantage of some of the parts that usually get turned to ground beef. I’ve found boneless chuck ribs which were very good and a chuck eye steak that was great. He says they tried cutting plate ribs, they kept them for themselves and cooked them on the smoker behind the store, it will be interesting to see what they will charge for them when the put them out on the shelf. The Ribeye’s run between $45-50 and I’m sure they have a $ amount they are expecting to get out of each side of beef and are trying to figure out what works and what will sell.

Comment

Any chance of Texas annexing Ontario?
            Even a full blow invasion would not be frowned upon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here