Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 30-day dry-aged brisket was amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 30-day dry-aged brisket was amazing

Some of you may be following my post about building my own dry-aging unit. I completed my first 30-day dry-age of a brisket yesterday and smoked it for NYE. It came out amazing and is easily the juiciest brisket I have ever cooked. My theory is that the aging process does something to the fat that makes it render better during a cook. Thoughts, anyone?

Here is a link to the slicing video, although it's still rendering: https://youtu.be/7saL0rp88fA

H​​ere's what it looked like coming out of the dry-aging chamber

​ ​

After trimming and good ol' dalmation rub

​

Just out of the smoker

​

​

And the slicing two hours later. Tell me that isn't some juicy brisket. BTW.. no Texas Crutch.

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Looks delicious on the video! Thanks for sharing. I'm unable to see your pics though. Bet good leftovers today too!

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if it's because I saved, then restored the post. I'll put all the pics below again

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4722.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	966724Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	966725
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4734.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	966726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	966722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4738.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	966721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4739.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	966719Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4740.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	966715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4741.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	966716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4742.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	966720Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4743.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	966718Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4744.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	966723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4745.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	966717

Comment

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks amazing! Did you cut the crust off from the dry aging? If so, how deep/thick was it?

That looks great. Was there a reason you tried dry vs wet aging? Just curious...

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      They are two very different processes. Once you've had dry-aged meat it's hard to go back.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx.

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Wet aging is much easier, and does tenderize the meat. Dry aging tenderizes to a much greater degree AND actually changes the flavor of the meat. Dry aging does have some waste, though, because of having to cut off the "shell" dry-aging creates.
      Last edited by wcpreston; January 1, 2021, 03:31 PM.

That looks awesome! Job well done.

Comment

That looks sensational, shiny juicy!!
      My butcher sells dry aged beef but I just can't past the way it looks, and the price

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        You can approach dry again with umai bags. I did that first, and it's a lot cheaper than buying it already dry aged. You just have to buy a primal cut and age that, so it's a big ask. (You don't dry age a steak. You dry age the cut of meat the steak comes from.)

Nice work!

Comment

Looks awesome.
        You think it's worth the extra effort vs wet aging?

Comment

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, it is effort and COST, if you don't have a dry-aging setup. Have you looked at my post about that? I reference it above. You're looking at least $300 even making a home ghetto setup like I have. I already had a small old fridge and temperature control from homebrewing.

I know I LOVE dry-aged beef. I also know I'm super happy with this brisket and I'm not sure why people don't do this with briskets. But I'm going to need to do a few more before I can truly answer the question.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And then some more just to make sure. And, what if I tried ...

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF Are you suggesting that I am constantly fiddling with my dry-again setup? How dare you.

Looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here