Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few words (and photos) about Wagyu steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides the cost, as someone that always has a good pile of trimmed fat on my plate after eating ribeye and brisket, I haven’t been tempted at all to try it. Raw it’s visually off putting to me. If I were at Mosca ‘s house for dinner and he put it out there like that, I’d happily try it. However, my experience with American Wagyu and mail order premium Prime has been similar, yeah it’s better and seems much more consistently so, but is it that much better? IMO, not really. Maybe a time or two per year for a special dinner, but prior to this year I would generally splurge to go out for that. When the right deals come along though, I’ll probably keep picking up American Wagyu. I’d have To stumble across an exceptional deal to likely ever even try A5.

Comment

It is delicious. And very pleasing. Yet it falls short of the hype, and the cost.

I have a few more steaks, I’ll try some different ways of making it. It could be that I just didn’t bring out the magic.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
        Besides the cost, as someone that always has a good pile of trimmed fat on my plate after eating ribeye and brisket, I haven’t been tempted at all to try it. Raw it’s visually off putting to me. If I were at Mosca ‘s house for dinner and he put it out there like that, I’d happily try it. However, my experience with American Wagyu and mail order premium Prime has been similar, yeah it’s better and seems much more consistently so, but is it that much better? IMO, not really. Maybe a time or two per year for a special dinner, but prior to this year I would generally splurge to go out for that. When the right deals come along though, I’ll probably keep picking up American Wagyu. I’d have To stumble across an exceptional deal to likely ever even try A5.
        They are out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF706EAD-1883-4A2A-B4A9-134A793F3124.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	966551

Comment

I’ll stick with the ever improving value of American Wagyu. A5 is over rated

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Best of both worlds.

About 10 years ago, I was gifted a Wagyu steak. At the time I knew nothing about Wagyu or Kobe. The price sticker was mostly removed but I could still see it was in the Hundred something dollar range. My wife cooked it like a regular steak on the CI. Back then we didn't use thermometers. We poked them for doneness. We ate it with a salad and a twice baked potato if I remember correctly .

I remember we both commented, "It's really good. But not A hundred dollars worth of good." And we were glad it wasn't our money we were eating...lol

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            That about sums it up...glad it wasn't my money !!

I like to see well marbled meat with a good meaty flavor ...the Wagyu looks like its about 30% to 40% meat, and what I had was good but greasy. I'll stick with choice and prime.

Comment

Mosca Thanks for your analysis. I think it’s right on based on a more limited experience buying a few ounces and serving it as part of a blind tasting with steak from Snake River. Learned this law: "Things are always less than what they seem. "

Comment

It's similar to Fatty Tuna, the section cut from the belly. Sashimi grade tuna is that bright red color and I love it. Fatty Tuna is pink because it holds so much fat and is the prized parts of the tuna, especially by Japanese sushi chefs. I caught a 200+ lb tuna and gave away the fatty steaks because it was too much. Almost greasy and had a weird (to me) texture. That is how Waygu has been in my experience.

Comment

My experience with A5 was different. For me - it was heavenly. A rare splurge, but worth every penny. I bought a big hunk of ribeye roast a few years ago and posted the cooking adventure (it was actually an adventure) here to solicit opinions, suggestions and tips - and finally to post the results of tests of different cooking methods. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...w-to-best-cook

It ended up being one of my favorite threads that I started. I also enjoy good wine and whisky, and I completely appreciate the value comparison. I can enjoy a $23 Bordeaux and rate it a 93/100, and then drink a $200 California cabernet and rate it a 95. simple logic would tell you that you should just drink decent $23 bottles and be happy - much better value. Was the California cab worth 9x as much for extra 2 points of enjoyment. No way on a QPR (Quality to Price Ratio). But would I do it again - absolutely! The experiences were completely different, and totally enjoyable. Hard to compare - and I won't drink $200 bottles every week - but I will definitely do it again and I will utterly enjoy it.

I'm sorry it wasn't all that you had hoped for. I am almost always disappointed when I eat steak in a restaurant. I've found that I can almost always do better on my own, with good ingredients. I've gotten a lot better at cooking protein in general, but every once in a while I have a stinker. Sometimes it's the quality of the meat, usually a lapse of concentration or some mistake of my own.

I'd encourage all of you not to just write off good A5 as an overpriced gimmick. It truly can be a little piece of heaven.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here