Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Mystery - need help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Mystery - need help identifying

I found this in my freezer in a zip lock bag. Neither my wife or I have any idea where it came from or what cut of meat it is. I think it is some sort of "roast" cut, maybe a small chuck? But maybe it could be a steak, maybe a chuck eye? Just not sure. So I put this to a panel of experts. Need to make a low and slow or front sear/reverse sear decision. As you can see from the photo with the paring knife it is not very big but it is thick.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020682.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	964742

Name:	P1020681.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	964743

Looks almost like a small section of rib roast?

Comment

I do agree with the ribeye guess but also a chuckie?

Comment

If it is a ribeye, that's a nice cap to eye ratio!

Comment

Yep, that’s a ribeye alright. Do me a favor and smoke it as-is. Let it thaw properly, trim it up, apply a good rub and then smoke it low n slow until almost done. Let it rest 10-15 minutes, then give it a good sear. Done deal. And serve it with a full-bodied Cabernet.

Comment

Looks like a cross-section cut of shank to me. Which would mean chop it up and put it in something else or braise it. But I appear to be the minority report on this one, and could easily be mistaken. Is that off-center white part soft fat or hard something else? That'll tell the tale.

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with you. It kinda looks like a ribeye but also kinda doesn't.

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              If it is Shank it's missing the bone. Unless it's farmed as Boneless beef!

Turns out it is a ribeye. Choice grade by my estimation. After thawing I was able to get about a 3 hour dry brine on it. Cooked in on the kettle with SnS, low and slow with charcoal and oak added to an IT of 122. Pulled the steak and grill to cool while the charcoal heated up to sear temp. Then did a reverse sear with a cool grate spin 2 min/side X 2 times each. Final IT was 132. Was a pretty good steak. Pictures below. Final plate was steak, vegetable hash, smashed cauliflower with leeks, and spring greens with blue cheese. Dinner started with a mystery and ended up good tasting and full bellies for my wife and I. Thanks for the advise and guidance.

Name:	IMG_20201229_180302018.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	965159Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201229_180400080.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	965160Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201229_180723141.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	965161

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              great cook - and that is one hell of a cap on that ribeye!

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Excuse Me, but I want some to go with my PBR, please.

Looks like you scored a win out of the mystery after all. Yummy. Now, where do I find a monster thick steak like that in my neighborhood? 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here