Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast Smoke then Crock Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast Smoke then Crock Pot

I'm thinking about smoking a chuck roast on Saturday for about 4 hours to give it a touch of smoke and then cook it in a slow cooker on Sunday until it is fall apart tender.

I do not want a very strong smoke taste or a very hard bark.

I'm wanting to make shredded beef tacos where the beef is cooked in a birria style.

Has anyone smoked then slow cooked in a crock pot a hunk of beef before. If so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I do it a lot, if going in a crock pot I would guess you would take the smoked chuck all the way to finish temp and put it in the crock the last hour or so of the planned cook since the crock isn't gonna go to 203? But then again, if your normal recipe does yield fully shreddable meat, then I'd just smoke for 2-3 hours before moving it to the crock. If using an instantpot, which is what we do, I will smoke the chuck to about 180-190 then put it in. The bark will soften a lot but hold the smoke flavor (though diluted by the liquid in the instantpot).

Comment

I cook my chili this way. Smoke the meat for 3 hours, give or take, then use it to cook the chili. It works out really well. I don’t see why it wouldn’t do same for tacos

Comment

We slow cooked a chuck roast in a insta pot, got to 203* after 8.5 hrs. Fall apart tender.

Comment

2 hours will give all the smoke you need. I have a chuck smothered in Tony's in the fridge for fajitas one day this week.

Comment

I also do this frequently, fer both tacos, an chili...It works jus fine, cain't imagine ya'll have any problems doin same same, but, if so, please holler...lotsa Nice Folks here, what can hailp...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here