Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Prime Rib Indoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Prime Rib Indoors

I'm planning a prime rib for Christmas. In the past, I've followed Meathead recipe on my weber kettle with SnS. This year however, the weather on Christmas is less than ideal. They're calling for rain and heavy winds. Just incase the report holds up, I need to come up with a backup plan. I was thinking of cooking in the oven using the convection setting at 225 with the gravy underneath until ready to sear. To sear, would it be better to use the broiler or a cast iron pan? Any thoughts or previous experiences are much appreciated!

Cast iron will most definitely give a better sear, but I've done it in the oven and it wasn't terrible.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend this recipe from Serious Eats. I cook at 200* although my oven could go lower to 170*. I've done prime rib this way for several years and am never disappointed with the almost edge-to-edge doneness (we used to go medium-rare, but the wife now prefers more medium, so 135-138* for us), plus the finishing sear in the oven.

Prime Rib Roast Recipe | Serious Eats

Comment

I’ve used the oven for Meatheads prime rib many times. Comes out great. I’ve used the broiler to sear most times, and it does a decent job. Just be sure to remove the roast while the broiler is heating up; only put it in once it’s up to full temp so you get a good sear without overcooking the interior.

Comment

When we need to do it inside we use convection roast at 225 until internal of 115, then turn on the broiler and turn every 5 minutes until an internal of 128. Works well for us, especially using Cow Crust as the rub.

Comment

​I cook at 225F in the Breville Smart Oven and haven't really felt the need to sear at all:

Click image for larger version

Name:	prime-rib-whole-2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	960262

Name:	prime-rib-plated-2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	960263

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s beeyootiful!

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            I am doing another tomorrow in fact. Will post pictures.

I quit searing rib roast a long time ago, the seasoning will crust up nicely when cooking but everyone seems to care about how the meat tastes not how crusty.

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. I quit searing burgers a while back and also pork chops & loins.

goosebr160 ,

I’m doing a rib roast too and am in MA. I’m watching the weather to see if the storm will miss us, but I was going to try a sous vide method if it doesn’t. I would rather use my Performer.

Comment

I'm in the same boat (hopefully no pun intended) and have found the oven at 225 deg to take longer than low and slow on the Performer (boneless roast in all cases), so I'd allow plenty of time. I assume that's because the oven's 198-242 cycling to maintain 225 is gentler than the 229-250 range I experience on the grill. Kenji and our own Mosca (09/08/2020 Prime Rib ramblings) have great "don't sweat it" tips for a good cook. If it's oven-bound, I'm going to allow 1 hr/inch and either interrupt the cook or hold the roast if I have to. That way I have both the roast and my marriage intact.
            Last edited by fkrall; December 22, 2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

A recent Cook's Country magazine uses a method that one of my friends has used successfully and I am wondering if anyone else has tried it. Preheat oven to 500oF, put the roast in (smothered with Dijon mustard) for some number of minutes depending upon the size/weight and then turn the oven off. Wait 2 hours and Voila!

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                That method "works", but pretty much guarantees you're going to have a band of overcooked meat around the outside. Also different ovens are going to give different results. I've done this in my mom's oven and it worked well, but in my crappy oven I'm not all that sure it would finish cooking before the oven cooled off too much.

My prime rib from last night, cooked at 225F (with convection for the last hour), served with steamed brocolini. No searing.

Name:	prime-rib-whole-4.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	961295

Name:	prime-rib-plated-4.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	961294

Comment

• goosebr160
                goosebr160 commented
                Editing a comment
                That my friend, is a thing of beauty! Well done!

The last of the prime rib leftovers (not counting the ribs) became hash, with baby red potatoes, peas and onion.

Name:	prime-rib-hash3.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	962558

Comment

Day late and a dollar short since you were cooking yesterday, but this is the one we did last year in the oven using cow crust and following Meathead's recipe (this year's was just as good, but I don't have a picture).
                Attached Files

Comment

Decided not to sear it and just cooked on convection at 225 to 125 degrees. I missed the hint of smoke, but it was still delicious!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here