Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Packer Brisket Doneness Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Packer Brisket Doneness Question

I've smoked brisket flats before, but am about to do my first full packer. The thickness difference between the point and the flat makes me think one will be done before the other. Is this true in practice? If so, how do you handle that and which one gets priority when deciding to pull it off the smoker?

I just went through this a couple days ago. Go by the thickest part of the flat. The point will be fine. Best brisket I ever made, after years of handling the muscles separately.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^ This! ^^

Probe Tender they be done.

Comment

I agree with both Mosca and bbqLuv. I too like to monitor the temp and I try to get the probe tip centered at the thickest part of the flat. But that temp I use just as a guide for checking for probe tender and a good jiggle. Remember, we are really over cooking the meat anyway. 40-50F degrees over "well done". Plus, with such a large piece of meat, I imagine the temps all over equalize a lot during the rest. I've never temped after the rest but I bet it all ends up even.

Comment

The point can handle more heat and a longer time in the smoke. They do cook at different rates, which is why I have gone to separating the point from the flat. It gives you a lot more flexibility when you are cooking. Once the point is done you can pull it off and focus on the the flat. There is so much fat in the point that it is pretty tough to dry it out.

Comment

Focus on the flat and forget the point. I've never had an undercooked nor overcooked point after a probe tender in the flat brisket was held for at least a couple hours after the cook.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod has forgotten more about brisket than I know. I'd listen to him.

I separate mine, but I turn the flats into pastrami and the points into burnt ends.

I never separate them, but I wrap the flat when it's in the stall. That seems to get them both done at about the same time and keeps it a little more moist - I think....

Comment

What Jerod Broussard said .... that rest really is key. And the flat is the important bit. I don't separate and I don't wrap. I just cook meat over fire with smoke until the flat is probe tender (roughly 200F give or take). I also trim very aggressively. If I don't people cut away the fat and all the beautiful bark with it.

Doing it that way, this is the most recent brisket outcome :-)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2048.png
Views:	216
Size:	968.2 KB
ID:	960230

Name:	IMG_2051.png
Views:	184
Size:	999.0 KB
ID:	960231

Name:	IMG_2053.png
Views:	189
Size:	939.3 KB
ID:	960232

Comment

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks Iike a winner

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              BFlynn I was really worried about this cook. I did it the day before and then reheated right before dinner. I think it was about 90% of my normal effort. Everyone else told me they loved it, so it seems I did fine even with the reheat.

• NotTheGolfer
              NotTheGolfer commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks AWESOME!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here