Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food safety question, strange color on wet aged brisket after trimming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food safety question, strange color on wet aged brisket after trimming.

Hey guys, urgent question. I opened up my packer, wet aged for 30 days in the cryo-vac like I usually do. I trimmed it with it resting on a piece of tin foil, and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic (Kinder "The Blend"). All seemed well. I wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for about 5 hours. It smelled the same as usual, a bit strong from the wet aging.
    This evening I loaded and fired the cooker, and unwrapped the brisket, and the point end was green! What the hell? How could something grow so fast on the freshly trimmed surface in the fridge? Is this a chemical reaction from the tin foil? Something in the spice mix?
    As the cooker was already going I grabbed a knife and removed the green outer layer, it was nice and red directly underneath. I'm planning on cooking it to 195F-203F.
    I put it on the fire, but I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone seen this before? Is this safe to eat after 16 hours at 225?

Last edited by SmokingInTucson; December 20, 2020, 12:00 PM.

My guess would be the foil. But only a guess.

Comment

Yeah, a green hue that formed that fast to me is nothing more than a chemical reaction. If your sniffer says it's fine, and it was fine when you unwrapped it, you're most likely fine.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking it had to be a chemical, not biological reaction, but it was really disconcerting.

Comment

Yeah foil can cause fresh meat to change color.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Did not know that, Tx U

I do know ive def read about garlic turning green. Was it definitely the meat and not the seasoning?

Comment

Play it safe--do no harm is my rule of thumb. When in doubt, throw it out.
            I would rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

Comment

• SmokingInTucson
              SmokingInTucson commented
              Editing a comment
              I probably should have, but it ended up smelling and tasting great, and no one got sick. In the future I'm going to avoid the tinfoil and garlic, and with that variables removed if something like that happens I'll toss it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here