Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bright yellow rendered fat from brisket, SVQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright yellow rendered fat from brisket, SVQ

Picked up a small, nicely marbled prime brisket from Costco, pre-trimmed. I seasoned it with Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub overnight, then 30+ hour SV @ 150F (Clint C's method).

When I chilled it in its vac seal after SV, the rendered fat solidified into what looks like pure yellow butter. Nothing seems off, I just have never had one look like this before. Is this a result of the Black Ops (I don't usually season before SV)? I see the yellowish fat in grass fed beef, but haven't seen one go from white to bright yellow like this. Any other ideas?

1st pic is uncooked, and prior to seasoning. 2nd pic is post-SV with seasoning and after chilling...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_235133.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	958499Click image for larger version

Name:	20201218_164139.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	958500

Cornfed! Reminds me of collagen from turkey, with obviously added neon highlights.

Comment

Fat color is a function of what kind of vitamins are present in the cow's diet. The key ingredient that makes grass fed beef fat look yellow instead of white is beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a natural form of Vitamin A - an essential nutrient - which the body can convert to Vitamin A as needed.

Comment

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I get the grass fed/nutrient angle, just never seen such a dramatic difference between uncooked vs cooked before.

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Naw we see that yellow rendered out fat on dairy cows. We never fed Rovimix to steers —maybe some do,

Almost only fat from a beef i see render yellow is from dairy cows. That brisket looks nice though. I seriously doubt a dairy cow got slaughtered for brisket in a commercial operation. That said we’d eat’m if they stopped production

Comment

Wondering if sous vide amplified the grass/corn color effect?
        Last edited by BourBonQ; December 18, 2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

In my experience doing SVQ or QVQ the fat gets colored by the rub elements. For BBBR it’s usually a nice orange color.

Comment

Well there you go, cornfed beef, always learning, how was the flavour BourBonQ ?

Comment

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll let you know, smoking it this weekend.

Stuey1515 Bottom line, this brisket was delicious, and great texture.

Side note: I smoked it in the PBC. Was first time using Fogo lump. Man, that stuff burns HOT. Will have to adjust my lighting method.

Had to let the barrel settle for a couple hours just to get it below 400. Took roughly 1.5 hrs to get brisket temp to about 145 internal. A different bark than low and slow, but can't complain.

Bonus... threw some fresh picked oysters on the barrel afterwards...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201219_211140.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	959625

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201219_192414.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	959626
            Last edited by BourBonQ; December 20, 2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great. Love oysters but I think I've only cooked them once a long time ago. I do cook a lot of muscles over live fire.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Like that bonus!

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              An oyster roast. I'm envious.

We're gonna miss out annual trip up to the low country this holiday, but next year, God willing, we're going to put a serious dent in the shrimp and oyster population.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here