Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef! It's what's for dinner! Vote: Chuck or Flank Steak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be contrary and go with the Sirloin.
    You're lucky just bring the meat, our kids call up and say "What you doing next Saturday." I reply "Nothing that I can remember." They say "Good, what's for dinner?" Gotta love it though, at least they want to see us.
    Last edited by ofelles; December 18, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s fantastic, and tell-tale to the quality of cooking you offer.

Flank.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I've got a 2 pound flank marinating in a zip lock bag with a marinade recipe I found in the Barbecue Bible, which I had all the ingredients for. Two sirloins are dry brining, and will get a coating of Hank's Signature Rub right before I head out the door. We will slice it all, and everyone will have their choice of meat.
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like problem solved, in a tasty fashion...

Flank speed ahead!

And I picked flank steak so I could post the above...

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwahahaha

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha! Glad to give you an outlet for your quips!

Something that goes great with sirloin....sautéed purple onions and mushrooms. I sauté them in melted butter and a little red wine, garlic salt and pepper. Even better, marinate portobello mushrooms and grill to eat with the steak!
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 18, 2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        😂 So......what’s the problem? Ain’t nuttin for a stepper like yourself Jim! If you’ve never done portobellos on the grill.......MAN!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Purple Onions???

Wowsers, I had best increase my uptake of THC lol an learn, along..

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        AKA....Red Onions, for people’s outside Texas Mr. Bones

Late to the party, but...Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce. You'll think you've died and gone to Beef Heaven.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotta learn how to make that! Likely won't be on the menu for tonight, but what I did make was a "Filipino style London broil" marinade from Raichlen, reserving half of the marinade for serving:

Grilling recipes and barbecue recipes from Steven Raichlen and the Barbecue Bible. Find inspiration for the grill from our collection of recipes.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Them at recipe sounds good. Just can’t stand his instructions.
        Oil the grates...
        Use the poke test to determine doneness...

In case things don’t work out you can #1 peanut butter & jelly. #2 order pizza. Always have a plan B.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed! I recall the time the dog ate all 5 ribeyes and we had Domino's pizza for dinner...

What no Texas Red???

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha - sorry, I've made 3 batches of that in less than 2 weeks. I'm about chili'ed out for a week or two!

Flank.
      Nuff Said.

Comment

Here's how it turned out. The marinade for the flank was phenomenal. My son in law has one of those dual fual Chargriller grills, half propane, half charcoal, and I gave all the kids some Grillgrate factory second panels a couple of years back, so that is how we rolled with the cook. Took maybe 12 minutes on medium high heat, to get all 3 peices of meat to 135F, and we carried them in to the cutting board. For desert we had some cookies my daughter made that were almost too pretty to eat! But I ate it, chasing it with beer and Costo blended scotch...

EDIT: By the time we left a few hours later, there were about two slices of sirloin left on the cutting board, and the daughter and I split that. The son and I munched off the cutting board all evening, finishing off the flank. The juices went everwhere when I started carving - I told my son-in-law that we need to use my router to add a groove to that cutting board of his. It's nice other than that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3868.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	958687Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3869.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	958688Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3870.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	861.0 KB ID:	958686
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Many Thanks fer sharin some much-needed Warm Fuzzies.

Ah'm OUT.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          The dogs LOVE it when you forget to use the grooved cutting board :-)

I think those cookies are too pretty to eat.

The steaks look awesome Jim.
        And that cookie. Are you kidding me. It’s a work of art. No wonder you were hesitant to eat it.
        Great times. 👊👊

Comment

Clearly late to the party; but better late than never, I say.

Anyhow, I vote for flank steak ..... do it like this

1. Dry brine for as long as possible.
          2. If everyone likes medium rare, then prep for a direct grill only
          3. Right before it hits the grill, hit it with coarse ground pepper and garlic powder
          4. Grill it direct, medium high heat, turning often, until 130F
          5. Meanwhile, prep a board sauce — whatever herbs are handy, olive oil, a bit of kosher salt, red pepper flakes, all mixed together.
          6. Just before pulling the steak, lay out the board sauce on your cutting board
          7. Pull steak and let it rest for a few minutes on top of the board sauce
          8. Slice thin across the grain, allowing the juices to mingle into the board sauce
          9. Spoon the board sauces over the top of the steak and serve

:-)

Comment

Went back and read the post .... fine looking steaks! Cutting board definitely needs a groove.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep - it sure does. There was juice running EVERYWHERE once we started cutting. I ended up grabbing a sheet pan and tilting the cutting board into it to catch all the juices.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here